• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stress, anxiety, and volatility...trying to get past it!

I've always been an optimistic and a pretty happy guy right up to the point that I had to deal with stupidity from others - I've never been tolerant of BS. For years I have just minimized my exposure to the things that set me off by bot going to places with large crowds, bars, concerts, etc. For the past year or so I have found it very difficult to control my stress and temper - I will literally set in my truck before I leave the house in the morning and make a conscious decision to NOT let things bother me...it last right up until the first jackass cuts me off, things go south from there.

I met with my doctor and he wants me to start taking medication like ZOLOFT, I am curious to know 1.) Do any of you take anything like that? 2.) Does anyone that takes it have any experience with it that may be helpful to me in making a decision as to whether or not I should take it. I realize each person is different and that their experiences are different but the thought of getting on meds like that is not appealing to me. I'm just trying to avoid a stroke or losing my **** on some mouthy 25 year old.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I can relate. I'm sure plenty can. But I avoid drugs at all cost. I don't take any thing regular and thank God never have.
I, like you have avoided the 'news' and it helps immensely. That was probably the biggest stressor. But of course you can't always avoid it. Thankfully, I no longer have a metro area commute and that also helps a LOT. The only piece lacking for me is exercise. I used to run a good bit. Don't anymore (lots of excuses but that's all they are). I'll be in my company's gym with some regularity hopefully soon. I'm convinced that regular extended physical exertion, if not critical, is certainly complimentary to a more even keeled emotional state. I think most people would describe me as laid back. The problem with that is there is no 'ramp up'. It's just a switch. I do everything possible to keep perspective and the older I get, the easier it seems to get. Or at least I tell myself that....
Good luck.
DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF....... and at the end of the day, it's almost all small stuff.

I think we all should be medicated. Too much bull****. VA gives me stuff. Keeps me from snapping. And I have learner to cope better with age. But with more bull**** comes more responsabilities

Try some CBD.
woosah-ears.gif

I got to the point where I had to get out of the Atlanta area or I was going to end up getting into road rage incident that could put me in jail, sued, or worse. My commute was 8 miles from hell, with having to deal with everyone else's ****ty-ness. We moved to TN in 2019 to escape all that we hated about Atlanta, politics, racial BS, crappy schools, traffic, etc. It was one of the best things we ever did, I actually think it added years back to my lifespan. I traded my 8 mile commute of constant traffic for a 23 mile commute with very little traffic in comparison. I found myself smiling a lot during my commutes, and became a much more happier person in general.

Then the Kung Flu hit, and I've been working from home ever since, while sometimes having to manage work and my 3 little boys. I hated how angry the anxiety made me towards them, so I ended up taking Sertraline (zoloft) and have had much better days with managing the anxiety. Do I want to have to take drugs to balance myself, heck no, but I also don't want to make my kids afraid of me and hate me.

I got to the point where I had to get out of the Atlanta area or I was going to end up getting into road rage incident that could put me in jail, sued, or worse. My commute was 8 miles from hell, with having to deal with everyone else's ****ty-ness. We moved to TN in 2019 to escape all that we hated about Atlanta, politics, racial BS, crappy schools, traffic, etc. It was one of the best things we ever did, I actually think it added years back to my lifespan. I traded my 8 mile commute of constant traffic for a 23 mile commute with very little traffic in comparison. I found myself smiling a lot during my commutes, and became a much more happier person in general.

Then the Kung Flu hit, and I've been working from home ever since, while sometimes having to manage work and my 3 little boys. I hated how angry the anxiety made me towards them, so I ended up taking Sertraline (zoloft) and have had much better days with managing the anxiety. Do I want to have to take drugs to balance myself, heck no, but I also don't want to make my kids afraid of me and hate me.
I completely understand, I think the thing that sets me off the most is the consistent lack of concern from damn near everyone in the customer service industry. I am 50% owner in a company that works nation wide, I drive around 75k a year just going to projects, my exposure to a$$holes is significant e.g., projects in Boston, New York, California, etc. etc.

I can relate. I'm sure plenty can. But I avoid drugs at all cost. I don't take any thing regular and thank God never have.
I, like you have avoided the 'news' and it helps immensely. That was probably the biggest stressor. But of course you can't always avoid it. Thankfully, I no longer have a metro area commute and that also helps a LOT. The only piece lacking for me is exercise. I used to run a good bit. Don't anymore (lots of excuses but that's all they are). I'll be in my company's gym with some regularity hopefully soon. I'm convinced that regular extended physical exertion, if not critical, is certainly complimentary to a more even keeled emotional state. I think most people would describe me as laid back. The problem with that is there is no 'ramp up'. It's just a switch. I do everything possible to keep perspective and the older I get, the easier it seems to get. Or at least I tell myself that....
Good luck.
DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF....... and at the end of the day, it's almost all small stuff.
I'm sure trying to get to that point, tough row to hoe.

The thing is , that it has gotten worse the last few years.
People arent “polite” as a general rule anymore. They are more wrapped up in them than actually thinking things through.
If you are polite as a society, everyones day seems to go smoother. There is less stress to start with. Instead, you get pissed before you make it a few miles from home, then you stop at a c-store and your all wound up so you might not be as polite to next person in some small way. That person goes along, and so on…..
Chivalry and general good manners goes a long way….but it takes a small effort on everones part before it really takes hold.
Just a small part of it…..Just MY O.
Agreed... the other thing that I have noticed is that anyone in the customer service industry has acquired a give-a-**** attitude over the last two years.

Is Zoloft one of the ones with suicide as a side effect? I'd try other options before going pharma. As some have suggested:
  • Turn off TV, media, and social media
  • Make sure you're getting 8 hours of sleep nightly
  • Add exercise and cut junk food/fast food
  • Practice that prayer about the things you can and can't change
  • Take your big troubles to God
  • Make an effort every night to thank God for your blessings, however big or small
Good advice, I have already limited my news intake to about 30 minutes a morning (probably still too much), I get the sleep and the excercise...I need to work on the last three items

A lot of good advice here. I quit listening to the radio, watching tv, ate very clean, exercised 6x week, tried to cut out all the negative I could and still had problems. Go to a holistic doctor and have some blood work done. I had a crazy explosive temper - started taking horomone medication and it all went away. Stay away from antidepressants at all cost. You may have low testosterone and high estrogen due to many environmental factors.

Back
Top Bottom