• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Strategies for new terrain

dwilson42

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
So I just this past week obtained hunting rights to a new piece of land now its only about 4 miles from my current hunting land but its totally different terrain in the past ive hunted pine thickets around open fields and have mastered this terrain to a science. But my new land is totally different really only 5-7 acres are somewhere you can access to hunt the rest is two thick with young growth from where they cut the pines or is a hard wood swamp with too much under growth to move around in open fields are just over the ridge from the patch of hardwoods that I say is huntable on the back edge of the property but they are across the property line what are some strategies you guys are using in terrain like this is it even worth bothering with food plots or just catch em in passing? advice?

I love thick spots like that, and more importantly so do the deer. Great places for them to feel safe and bed down. Definitely try to catch them in passing, and I would be out scouting now for trails, scrapes, etc., and put some cameras out to check their movement. As far as the food plot, if there is a good food source in the area, I would not bother, otherwise you might consider planting for late winter feeding.

Just to give you an idea, I live in an agricultural area so I keep it thick. They sleep near me in the day, and head out to the fields at dusk so I just catch them on the way.

Last edited:
Thick stuff = bedding. As mentioned by batoncolle I'd set up cameras on a well used trail entering/exiting the thick area and get a pattern on them. Bucks will be checking these thickets during the rut in search of does bedding there, especially during midday hours. I'd be low impact on the thicket, especially if it is small. Bumping a big buck once or twice is all it takes to make him abandon a small pocket of cover. I have a piece like that and all that I can do is hunt the edges of it. Once the rut kicks in I get in the thicket and hope to catch a big one cruising through.
Good luck.

I got 15 acres of thick stuff and to the camera and scouting i went out tonight and accessed what i could of it found some trails the one that looked most traveled i dropped a block and some attractant on and set the camera up

Back
Top Bottom