• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Stone cold killer? Blue Heron

I had one hang out around me while I was fishing about 10 years ago. Evey time I caught a small catfish, he'd get close as though he was considering taking it away from me. Guess people have feed them....?

Later on I moved to the other side of the lake to get away from him but he followed me. Finally I caught a big catfish and threw it back in. That dang heron swooped in and caught it. He flew off holding the fish in his mouth.

He spent probably the next hour (or more) trying to swallow a fish that was just too big for his mouth. I could see him working on it, holding up his mouth tossing the fish around. Finally he was gone and I never knew if he just gave up and left it or finally got the big fish down.

1655779645443.png

We get to see herons, egrets, storks, anhingas, and osprey daily. They’re all very efficient fishermen. And very opportunistic if a lizard or snake crosses their path.

I look for them while fishing. They don't like to hang around when they see you but they let me know there's bait fish near, at least that's what I like to believe.

I look for them while fishing. They don't like to hang around when they see you but they let me know there's bait fish near, at least that's what I like to believe.
They usually seem to eat mussels and small fish this one was a nice size bluegill way to big to eat I agree on baitfish

Back
Top Bottom