• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Stolen Firearms

Sounds like a good idea. Do you think having these pictures will help better than just having the info on a spreadsheet?
No. I imagine all the authorities will want is a serial number. However, if they're recovered it does imply ownership and condition of the firearm. Plus it might help with insurance.

When I had my first gun stolen . Cop didn’t even bother asking me for the serial “Gwinnett county “. I was like dude hold up I have the serial right here , I mean just the report of a stolen gun won’t get it back like tf . They honestly don’t even care .

If pawned immediately, like before you report it, the thief may get his money…
True. But legitimate pawn shops record the serial and won't buy a gun with somebody without a valid ID that also gets recorded. They have to wait a certain amount of time before it's cleared by LEO to put out for sell. So yeah, if you get a gun stolen, report it as quickly as you can. My bet is a lot of these criminals just sell it on the street where nobody is going to verify any info.

When I got done prosecuting one thug for possession of a stolen firearm and being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm,

I asked the police department to try to return it to the person who reported it stolen (which was up in New Jersey, 10 years prior).
They contacted the New Jersey agency that reported it into the federal database and they said they lost all the contact information for that guy, So it could not be returned

lesson to learn: if you want stolen property back, keep the lead detective or your contact person at the L.E. agency apprised of your changes and address and/or phone number.

I keep pics of every firearm as well as a sheet in EXCEL with serial numbers. If the gun is recovered, I would expect it would eventually be returned to the owner…. unless it had been used in commission of a crime…. in that case, it would likely remain in "evidence" indefinitely….

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Got my stolen LCP back after almost 6 years gone. It was recovered on a domestic fight call. It was kept as evidence until the case closed. I had to fill out paperwork as if I was purchasing a firearm but I got it back and it was still in perfect shape.

Had a break in to my van while in Tallahassee, FL in the mid 80s. Had a camera (35mm TL Electoral X), accessories and a S&W Model 28 stolen. About 2 years later, Tally PD calls and says they recovered all my items. They had been sold to a pawn shop in Thomasville, GA. Tally PD shipped it to Orlando PD so I would not have to drive up there.

Back
Top Bottom