• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

steering box leak

shotgun 01

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
I've got a pretty healthy leak that has developed on my '76 TransAm. It appears that it is the back seal. Anyone ever replace that seal, or is that something to be left to a professional? I've been told that it should just be sent off to a steering box repair place. Doesn't really need a rebuild, just leaks. TIA

I actually bought the seal kit, but a mechanic I know said that it was kind of a PITA, and a bit difficult to get everything right. I have watched videos and Googled, but have not seen the video above. It looks like it could be messed up pretty easily. BTW, I need to have mine fixed, as it is on a date coded, numbers matching car. Thanks guys.

While I've replaced about two along the way, the originals weren't worn out. They just leaked. I was advised to replace the unit by professionals. That's what I did, problem solved. It wasn't expensive as I remember.

I actually bought the seal kit, but a mechanic I know said that it was kind of a PITA, and a bit difficult to get everything right. I have watched videos and Googled, but have not seen the video above. It looks like it could be messed up pretty easily. BTW, I need to have mine fixed, as it is on a date coded, numbers matching car. Thanks guys.
They are a pain in the arse. I own several 2nd gen camaros , Dont think they are date coded but possibly are. I rebuilt one years
ago and it did not last long. its all about getting the adjustment just right.

Back
Top Bottom