• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steel vs aluminum Fixed mounts

xls177

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Steel vs aluminum Fixed mounts

what are the reasons for choosing between steel or aluminum fixed mounts?
Will aluminum become damaged from blast?

Is there a limit on caliber you can use aluminum Fixed mounts with?

It's personal choice. I've only ever had one bad scope and it was an American Made Weaver. Every other issue I had was solved by switching to steel base and rings. I have seen aluminum deform over time, especially on a non bull barrel on a T/C Contender and Encore. You're adding weight, but for me I'll take the weight for a better piece of mind.
When I mount a scope I do Lap rings and I degrease everything. I coat the lapped surfaces with rosin powder being sure to remove all large crumbs.

Never had an issue using this method. No I could care less what about what others say about lapping rings. I'll take 90% plus ring to scope body contact any day, and without marring the scope finish.

I also cut the edge on the rings to ensure there are no high areas on the edges of the ring. I'm a big fan of Burris and Leupold mounts. They may not have that great COOL factor, but they work.

That Weaver scope. It went South two days before my Antelope hunt when I was already in New Mexico.
It almost ruined a very expensive bucket list trip. That was 2006, That's when I reassessed my mounting options.

Degrease, clean the scope surface too. Dry and oil free. Buy a good torque wrench, although I mounted scopes without one for years, but I know I over torqued a lot of screws. Luckily I never had once sheer off.

Just sharing my experiences and habit's. At the end of the day, you do you and enjoy.

I use high quality milspec mounts. ADM, A.R.M.S. or LaRue are some well known names. Leupold usually is fine as well. If it is designed correctly and made from the correct alloy - aluminum works fine.

If you have a split/empty center picatinny rail to mount on (common with euro rifles) - you need a full lug as with ADM. My old LaRue mount moved with the open centers - got peening. Went to mostly ADM.

There may be applications where steel is needed. I don’t do 50 cal or 338 lapua so I would not know.
Bolt action hunting rifles - many use lightweight steel rings.
Just buy quality.

Reactions: RSB
It's personal choice. I've only ever had one bad scope and it was an American Made Weaver. Every other issue I had was solved by switching to steel base and rings. I have seen aluminum deform over time, especially on a non bull barrel on a T/C Contender and Encore. You're adding weight, but for me I'll take the weight for a better piece of mind.
When I mount a scope I do Lap rings and I degrease everything. I coat the lapped surfaces with rosin powder being sure to remove all large crumbs.

Never had an issue using this method. No I could care less what about what others say about lapping rings. I'll take 90% plus ring to scope body contact any day, and without marring the scope finish.

I also cut the edge on the rings to ensure there are no high areas on the edges of the ring. I'm a big fan of Burris and Leupold mounts. They may not have that great COOL factor, but they work.

That Weaver scope. It went South two days before my Antelope hunt when I was already in New Mexico.
It almost ruined a very expensive bucket list trip. That was 2006, That's when I reassessed my mounting options.

Degrease, clean the scope surface too. Dry and oil free. Buy a good torque wrench, although I mounted scopes without one for years, but I know I over torqued a lot of screws. Luckily I never had once sheer off.

Just sharing my experiences and habit's. At the end of the day, you do you and enjoy.
Lapping rings is so 1980s.

Ah - only 1 cup of Joe.
Always steel for a can. If you check the manufacturer’s mounts - pretty sure they are steel.
I have spoken with AAC about various mounts - it is always steel. You can have a brake type or flash hider type - but always steel.
Imagine the aluminum peening with on and off with a 5.56 or larger caliber. There goes $$$$ down range.
Some baffles on 22 cans may be aluminum as is the tube. But that is a low pressure application. I think all my 22 cans now have steel end caps where it threads on. Where my 9’s connect - also steel.
I think galling is an issue with dissimilar metals.

I use high quality milspec mounts. ADM, A.R.M.S. or LaRue are some well known names. Leupold usually is fine as well. If it is designed correctly and made from the correct alloy - aluminum works fine.

If you have a split/empty center picatinny rail to mount on (common with euro rifles) - you need a full lug as with ADM. My old LaRue mount moved with the open centers - got peening. Went to mostly ADM.

There may be applications where steel is needed. I don’t do 50 cal or 338 lapua so I would not know.
Bolt action hunting rifles - many use lightweight steel rings.
Just buy quality.
If you want to sell any of your A.R.M.S. mounts please lemme know!

Back
Top Bottom