• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stealing or not?

Is it still wrong if the law isn't strictly enforced?

• Yes.

Votes: 116 84.7%
  • No.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • No such thing as free tacos.

Votes: 19 13.9%

• Total voters
lets see if it's not mine and I take it and not pay for it or ask if I can have it.
yea I thing it's stealing.

1steal verb \ˈstēl\

: to take (something that does not belong to you) in a way that is wrong or illegal

: to take (something that you are not supposed to have) without asking for permission

: to wrongly take and use (another person's idea, words, etc.)

Stealing is a black and white issue - it does not matter if it is one penny or a million pennies, it is stealing.

Geaux's example is not a black and white issue. In fact if he would have been caught hunting before he moved the first time, and the warden followed the letter of the law, he would have been ticketed. He did not even know about the corn, but he would have been ticketed. Does anyone think that is warranted???

In most cases, not all, but in most, it is easy to tell when someone is hunting over bait. If wardens are letting people go who are knowingly hunting turkey over bait, then that is a serious problem. If however the same hunter had corn in front of a camera and was on the other side of the property hunting, it is pretty obvious they were NOT hunting turkey over bait. And I have 0 problem with a warden exercising their discretion in the field.

Once again the law is silly. You can't allow people to use bait except for these couple of months out of the year where you better not have one piece of corn lying on their property. Hell I have chickens in my yard so I better not toss them out any bread and then go hunting turkey because guess what, I just baited. That is absolutely insane, and the law needs to be changed.

Back in 2012 we had a Crankenstein supposed mechanic working here. He was supposed to be fixing 3 Festivas so we could sell them. Instead of fixing them he cut the convertors out from under them with a cutoff wheel on an air grinder. By doing it that way he ruined the down pipe from the engine and the flange from the exhaust pipe. He then rode over to Emmett Head Auto Salvage where my landlord/ bidness partner had 4 or 5 more cars stored and cut the cats out from under them too. He did this cause he knew Robby was out of town. He justified it buy saying Robby didn't pay him before leaving.Anyway, when I called Peach Co. S.O. they sent a deputy out here and he took a report. Then they called Robby to confirm what I told them. Then we had to call Houston Co about the ones taken from Bonaire. They even saw the video of where he cashed in the cats at a recycler. But then they told Robby there was nothing they could do because we didn't see him stealing them. And when I asked them about the property damage I got the same response. Stealing is stealing. Value is irrelevant. But it's just that LE is usually not interested when it's under $100.00 in value because that is below felony range. Sad but true.
That is not true, they ARE interested in what they can PROVE. Knowing someone steals and proving it are two different things. A converter looks just like other converters. Then they are thrown into a pile and no one can prove who brought in which one. Never fly in court, then the POS sues for false arrest. Who wants to give them more money for stealing...Now back to the thread, sorry for the high jack!

As to the OP, the word property is vague as to where to hunt. Exactly how far does one have to be from the bait to be "not hunting over bait"?
...if you own 100 acres and you are hunting 80 acres away but you own it, is that the same?
... Since the LEO has no line to draw he and most others probably use the deer limits.
... No judge will up hold a charge where someone was far away from the bait.

As to the OP, the word property is vague as to where to hunt. Exactly how far does one have to be from the bait to be "not hunting over bait"?
...if you own 100 acres and you are hunting 80 acres away but you own it, is that the same?
... Since the LEO has no line to draw he and most others probably use the deer limits.
... No judge will up hold a charge where someone was far away from the bait.

It does not matter if you have a 1000 acres and you have one pile of corn on the other side of the property. If you are hunting turkey, you are in violation of the law. As I said if I decide to let my chickens out to free range, toss them some bread and/or corn, then go to the backside of my property to hunt turkey - I am now in violation of the letter of the law.

It does not matter if you have a 1000 acres and you have one pile of corn on the other side of the property. If you are hunting turkey, you are in violation of the law. As I said if I decide to let my chickens out to free range, toss them some bread and/or corn, then go to the backside of my property to hunt turkey - I am now in violation of the letter of the law.
That's were case law comes into effect. Like I said no judge is going to uphold a charge like this^^^

Back
Top Bottom