• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Status of Bump Stocks

EDFE3881-600F-4966-8004-6152E41369BC.jpeg

Here is one story I found...

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2019/03/26/bump-stock-ban-where-to-turn-in-knox-atf/3269178002/

Gun rights advocates ask Supreme Court to halt federal ban on bump stocks
Gun rights advocates have asked the United States Supreme Court to temporarily halt a federal ban on bump stocks, a type of gun stock that uses a weapon's recoil to enable it to fire more rapidly.

The ban, which prohibits ownership, buying, selling or 'otherwise transferring' bump stocks, was announced in December and was to go into effect Tuesday.

The advocates asked the court to stop the ban until federal appeals courts have ruled on the policy.

Bump stocks essentially turn a semi-automatic weapon into a fully automatic one by bouncing the trigger against a shooter's finger, allowing some models to fire between 400 and 500 rounds per minute.

Torn on this... I mean, it is a tool that essentially gets around the NFA ban on full auto weapons... I am surprised that they were ever legal to begin with...
It in no way violates the NFA as it does not make a semi auto a full auto by definition of one round per one pull of the trigger. It has been legal for years and unilaterally the executive branch decided to reverse its long standing decision and ban them with zero oversight or checks and balances. That is a scary precedent for gun owners in this country.

It in no way violates the NFA as it does not make a semi auto a full auto by definition of one round per one pull of the trigger. It has been legal for years and unilaterally the executive branch decided to reverse its long standing decision and ban them with zero oversight or checks and balances. That is a scary precedent for gun owners in this country.

What he meant to say is "I'm torn on this because Trump did it and not Obama".

I know how it works, goober. But if the intent of the law was to keep citizens from owning automatic weapons, then the mechanism by which you got there is kinda irrelevant.

Now, we should just get rid of the NFA, but so long as we have it, then taking a gun, and simply using a different mechanism to accomplish the same result, is obviously a way around the law.

The law wasn't to keep people from having a certain kind of sear assembly. It was about the RESULT of that sear assembly, and so skirting the issue by just making a mechanically different assembly, that gives almost identical results, is clearly an attempt to get around the law.

Has nothing to do with Trump or whatever other inane argument someone without the ability to be logical will invariably blurt out...

I don't think that ANY of this crap should be illegal, but if automatics ARE going to remain on NFA, then the bump stock's days were obviously numbered... Regardless of how it works, in the end it allows you to pretty much make your AR into an M4... Deny it all you want, you don't have to like it, but it is what it is...

I know how it works, goober. But if the intent of the law was to keep citizens from owning automatic weapons, then the mechanism by which you got there is kinda irrelevant.

Now, we should just get rid of the NFA, but so long as we have it, then taking a gun, and simply using a different mechanism to accomplish the same result, is obviously a way around the law.

The law wasn't to keep people from having a certain kind of sear assembly. It was about the RESULT of that sear assembly, and so skirting the issue by just making a mechanically different assembly, that gives almost identical results, is clearly an attempt to get around the law.

Has nothing to do with Trump or whatever other inane argument someone without the ability to be logical will invariably blurt out...

I don't think that ANY of this crap should be illegal, but if automatics ARE going to remain on NFA, then the bump stock's days were obviously numbered... Regardless of how it works, in the end it allows you to pretty much make your AR into an M4... Deny it all you want, you don't have to like it, but it is what it is...
Laws are written in black and white and don't have spirits. Enforcing some magical spirit or intent of a law is illogical and dangerous. Also might as well ban all these braces if we're enforcing emotional spirits of the law. Yay for gun control!

Back
Top Bottom