• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sporterizing a large ring Mauser

handloader

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
111   0
Reaction score
I have a large ring 7x57 German produced Mauser, still wearing the military configuration, that has been tapped and the bolt turned down professionally that I can't seem to trade for something that I will use. The stock would refinish nicely after being steamed, cut, and shaped. With all of that said, if the barrel comes off to be shortened, it`s getting replaced. Has anyone had a Shaw barrel put on a Mauser? A 35 Whelen seems like a good woods cartridge, but the internal magazine area might need some work for proper feeding. Have any of you guys been down the road of stepping up calibers in a large ring military Mauser?

.30-06, and the calibers based off that cartridge, have always been popular rounds for Mauser conversions in America.

Rounds like:

.25-06

.270 Winchester

.280 Remington

.338-06

.35 Whelen

A 98 action should take minimal massaging of the action to feed 35 whelen correctly. I’ve converted a couple old previously bastardized 98 actions over the years and it’s good fun!

What did you do about the safety? I would like to use a swing type safety Model 70 style, but I don’t have a mill. Anyone know of one that doesn’t require machining the bolt? What have y’all done on your projects? Dan Muk Dan Muk ?
Model 70 safeties are pretty sweet however I used a commercial bolt shroud and went with a timney trigger that has integrated safety.

Back
Top Bottom