• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sonoran Desert Institute for gunsmithing

Usmcvet

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
I want to start out by saying "by no means am I a gunsmith". However, eight months ago I realized that my gi bill was about to expire. I wanted to use what i could while i had the opportunity to get some knowledge for free. My passion is firearms. I did a little research and discovered SDI institute of firearms technology and enrolled in the certified gunsmithing course. The course was a gruesome 8 months of all online classes. What I did not like about it was the amount of writing i had to do but for an online school i kind of expected it. What I liked was that a lot of basic tools were provided and I did learn quite a few things. My capstone project was to build a 1911 using the stealth arms phantom jig. I greatly enjoyed that portion. Other things that were great were hydrodipping, kydex hokster making, and ring lapping. By no means can i fix any firearm or be able to diagnose any fireaem. Hell i cant identify every firearm ever made for that matter. But i am pretty confident to do just about anything to my own firearms now. My 1911 turned out great. Its still early, only 150 rounds through it and it performs better than my Kimber does. Overall, if your a veteran and are looking for a hobby that can be footed by your gi bill or a hobbyist who wants to learn more about firearms then this course is a great place to start. If anyone is thinking of or interested in more information Id be happy to provide more details. I was able to complete all assignments and keep an A+ grade while working full time and two young kids at home. If there is a better place for this post, feel free to move it or notify me.

That sounds like fun, and you can still get some BAH on the side for going to school online full time. Last I checked was around $900/month.

I think you’re right about the BAH, but I think the amount is based on your zip code. Either way, it’s a great idea and I think I might just take the jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to start out by saying "by no means am I a gunsmith". However, eight months ago I realized that my gi bill was about to expire. I wanted to use what i could while i had the opportunity to get some knowledge for free. My passion is firearms. I did a little research and discovered SDI institute of firearms technology and enrolled in the certified gunsmithing course. The course was a gruesome 8 months of all online classes. What I did not like about it was the amount of writing i had to do but for an online school i kind of expected it. What I liked was that a lot of basic tools were provided and I did learn quite a few things. My capstone project was to build a 1911 using the stealth arms phantom jig. I greatly enjoyed that portion. Other things that were great were hydrodipping, kydex hokster making, and ring lapping. By no means can i fix any firearm or be able to diagnose any fireaem. Hell i cant identify every firearm ever made for that matter. But i am pretty confident to do just about anything to my own firearms now. My 1911 turned out great. Its still early, only 150 rounds through it and it performs better than my Kimber does. Overall, if your a veteran and are looking for a hobby that can be footed by your gi bill or a hobbyist who wants to learn more about firearms then this course is a great place to start. If anyone is thinking of or interested in more information Id be happy to provide more details. I was able to complete all assignments and keep an A+ grade while working full time and two young kids at home. If there is a better place for this post, feel free to move it or notify me.
Way to go on finishing their course. Now you need to get your FFL license.

If you're interested, here are some interviews with several FFL holders about getting your license and starting a business: https://survivallife.com/buy-and-sell-guns-for-profit/

Back
Top Bottom