• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Somebody explain this to me. I never took physcis.....

Scope mounted and A2 front sight is dead center of objective. Variable power scope (2-10x). I do NOT see the front sight in the scope, at any magnification. Now I'm glad (but will remove the A2 anyway) but how is that even possible? :confused:
When you explain it type slowly and use small words.
M4 or A2 rifle? I've had a 'shadow' in the view from a Leupold Vari-X II 3-12 on an A2 (Colt Match HBAR) but I rarely perceive a shadow when using an optic on an M4forgery.

M4 or A2 rifle? I've had a 'shadow' in the view from a Leupold Vari-X II 3-12 on an A2 (Colt Match HBAR) but I rarely perceive a shadow when using an optic on an M4forgery.
DEF15F.JPG

It has to do with the focus point being at a long distance from the rifle. Same principle where photographers can take baseball player pictures when up close and shooting through a chain link fence and the fence is not seen in the photograph.

Scope mounted and A2 front sight is dead center of objective. Variable power scope (2-10x). I do NOT see the front sight in the scope, at any magnification. Now I'm glad (but will remove the A2 anyway) but how is that even possible? :confused:
When you explain it type slowly and use small words.
Simple explanation (perhaps too simplistic) is that the scope focuses the light that hits the entire objective lens into your eye. If the front sight is close, some light from the target hits some parts of the lens, so you see the target, perhaps with some blurring/dimming. If the objective lens is big enough, that's not noticeable. If the objective lens is too small (usually but not always associated with lower magnification), you notice it more.
Sort of like, if you have two eyes, you can sometimes see "around" an object that's in the way of one eye. (Not all of us have that benefit, which is why I thought of it.)

Back
Top Bottom