Solve Poverty Via The Lottery

tdi_g

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score
So I am sure you guys have seen this meme buzzing around about how the powerball lottery can end poverty:

Lottery Poverty.JPG

My sister up in Ohio posted that same image the other day and I was getting ready to bash on her for it but gave her the benefit of the doubt that she was making fun of it. Keep in mind, my sister was one of the top students in her high school class and is now an RN. Yesterday I'm scrolling through Facebook and found this little gem that she posted:

"I'm sorry but this is driving me nuts. The lottery winning divided crap.
When you divided the numbers it's technically saying 300 million goes into 1.3 billion 4.3 times. 300 million+300 million+300 million+300 million+the remainder=1.3billion....how is it that if you have 1.3 billion, a person would only get $4.33? When obviously you have 1 billion dollars!!!!!!! That's a lot more the 300 million.
Let's do it this way. 1.3billion - 300 million=$1 billion. Everyone could have $1 million and you'd still have $1 billion!!!
If I'm wrong I'm sorry but to me this is how I remember division works"

Well, let's just say that I unloaded on her over that and now I'm the bad guy...

She'll get over it but I still thought I would share that laugh with you guys. She's not dumb but definitely had a blonde moment there.

firstly

poverty is a man made valuation that differs depending on who is asserting what poverty is (is it the official poverty measure, the supplemental poverty measure, is it based on consumption, intake, wealth, access to resources?)

secondly, no amount of money will ever fix poverty

give everyone a million dollars and all you have done is make money worth less

or watch bruce almighty

when jim carey answered everyones prayers (including winning the lottery) everyone won, and everyone got paid squat

Back
Top Bottom