So....Who/Where did you learn to reload?

My dad bought me a speer manual when I was 13 and told me to read it. I hurriedly read it from front to back and told him and he said read it again. Well after a few months of this I gave up on asking for a kit but I would study the instructions and recipes of calibers I had. Well I got a RCBS partner press kit on my 14th birthday, as well as an old table to put everything on. Before he would let me open the boxes he gave me a lyman manual and said "read it". I did what I was told and three days later I shot every bullet in the house so I could handload them. I asked dad to help and I remember him saying he didnt have a friggin clue where to begin and thats why he made me read so much. Well I didnt know anyone who handloaded and there was no internet so I bought book upon book with every dime I got and I learned everything up until the internet on my own.

Taught myself. Got a book and read up, watched videos online, and put up a thread similar to this back when. I remember Chuckdog helped me a good bit with my questions back when.

I am the first in my family to take up interest in firearms, hunting, fishing etc...I have had to teach everything to myself knowing no one that was into the outdoors, but will someday be able to teach my kids and hopefully pass it on.

But you are right....with 9mm the cost savings is almost negligible.

Depends on how you look at it, I'm new to reloading and I'm sure I don't buy the best deals on components but do try to buy in bulk. I can make 100 rounds of 9mm for about $14
Wally world has the federal 100 packs for $21.50 including tax.
33% savings......I enjoy reloading so I don't see it as time wasted.
Just my $.02

- - - Updated - - -

I cast. A box of 9MM 120gr. plinkers is under $2 a box of 50.

This is what I gotta learn to do!!!!

I just got into it a few months back. I have a few guys at the range I talk to, people on forums and a few manuals. I use Speer's as my reloading bible for powder mixtures and OAL. I have my 9's down pretty good. I tried 223 like the second week in and had some issues but haven't gone back yet. I am going to do 45 acp next then 223.

I do save a little money over buying store bought but for me it is more about being able to reload and make more when you can not buy. If I had wanted to save lots fo money I wouldn't have gone progressive and would buy cheaper bullets.

One piece of advice I'll give is make sure you have plenty of extra brass when starting a caliber. I must have at least 200 9mm brass I destroyed in getting everything the way I want it.

I remember many hot afternoons in Dad's workshop learning how to reload on his single stage RCBS... and casting bullets too. Now I've got all his hand-me-down gear (except his lubri-sizer... dang it.) and reload as necssary. It's nice for tayloring a load to what you want and the cost savings. Some rifle calibers really add up fast.

I cast. A box of 9MM 120gr. plinkers is under $2 a box of 50.

Exactly why I cast .38 and .45ACP bullets. One day I'd like to have Dad's lubri-sizer (spelling's got to be wrong there)... but I've had very good luck sizing using Lee's die/plunger kit and their tumble lube liquid.

One piece of advice I'll give is make sure you have plenty of extra brass when starting a caliber. I must have at least 200 9mm brass I destroyed in getting everything the way I want it.

Go back and read some more- two or three cases may get mashed, but over a hundred is way too many. Unless you ran a bunch and didn't find out there was a problem until you got to the range.

Last edited:
Go back and read some more- two or three cases may get mashed, but over a hundred is way too many. Unless you ran a bunch and didn't find out there was a problem until you got to the range.

uh.. I didnt even know you could smash straigh wall brass... maybe I got lucky...

Back
Top Bottom