• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So what disappears first?

I look at that list, which even though extensive still won't cover it all, and wonder how the heck would I ever be able to stockpile all that stuff in sufficient quantities for even a few months, much less for years?

Unless you are extremely wealthy as well as able to build a mini fortress to defend it how the heck can you accomplish this?

Start now. It's amazing how much you can stock up on when you put aside a little every month. Food, silver, tradable items, etc. A lot of these items will retain value so it's not like you are wasting money. Start a written plan of the basic necessities your family will need and start there.

Start small by buying a few cases of food. Go to a Super Walmart at around 9:30-10 p.m. when they start rolling out carts of cases before they cut into the boxes to stock their shelves. I go for the 2014-2016 expiration dates (we have much longer term stuff stored, too) and use Coupons. Publix Buy One-Get One Free sales are a good way to do this too. Makes you feel kinda good walking out with a few cases of food you can store in the basement and after a few months you'll find that you're getting pretty well stocked. Then you can rotate through it. Again, you are not spending a lot as you get your intial stock going then eating it as you rotate cans, etc. by expiration date. Plus, this really helps if you're ever unemployed/underemployed.

We've funded a lot of our stuff through selling off completley useless and unneeded items in our household that was just stored away for no apparent reason!

You can also look for a group in the area of like minded individuals. We've met people that produce thousands of pounds of food from garden plots, experts on firearms, communications junkies, TEOTWAWKI vehicle preps, etc. Lots of fun characters out there, and they're really kinda normal people (with the emphasis on "kinda").

I disappear with my family first...........very hard pressed to stock up in quantities that would last more than year. Pick a few items that are must haves and use to barter for the others. If you belong to group have each member of the group pick an item to stockpile......just my thoughts on the matter.

I remember a very good read from someone that lived in Bosnia, I believe it was. They said these items were like gold. Toilet paper. Matches. Shopping carts or anything with wheels that could carry items and be pushed or pulled on foot. They stressed matches matches matches. Thought it was interesting.

Back
Top Bottom