So I have had a few beers and I feel like breaking something.

James1

19*My dear brothers,*take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak*and slow to become angry,*

20*for man's anger*does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

I think GOD in His infinite wisdom understands when I get a little sideways.

My deer jerky taste a little chemical like and you can't hunt suppressed up here so I'm a littler more broke, my meat kinda sucks, and my ears are ringing. Let's rage!

Lets just have another beer raging seems to tiresome.

I think GOD in His infinite wisdom understands when I get a little sideways.

In moments like these, I take great comfort in this particular letter, written by Martin Luther, to his children's tutor and caretaker, Jerome Weller. Jerome was taken to bouts of depression and angst and while he was away from home preaching, Luther was known to write him to cheer him up.

Martin Luther said:
My dear Jerome:

You must believe that this temptation of yours is of the devil, who vexes you so because you believe in Christ. You see how contented and happy he permits the worst enemies of the gospel to be. Just think of Eck, Zwingli, and others. It is necessary for all of us who are Christians to have the devil as an adversary and enemy; as Saint Peter says, "Your adversary, the devil, walketh about."

Excellent Jerome, you ought to rejoice in this temptation of the devil because it is a certain sign that God is propitious and merciful to you. You say that the temptation is heavier than you can bear, and that you fear that it will so break and beat you down as to drive you to despair and blasphemy. I know this wile of the devil. If he cannot break a person with his first attack, he tries by persevering to wear him out and weaken him until the person falls and confesses himself beaten. Whenever this temptation comes to you, avoid entering upon a disputation with the devil and do not allow yourself to dwell on those deadly thoughts, for to do so is nothing short of yielding to the devil and letting him have his way. Try as hard as you can to despise those thoughts which are induced by the devil. In this sort of temptation and struggle, contempt is the best and easiest method of winning over the devil. Laugh your adversary to scorn and ask who it is with whom you are talking. By all means flee solitude, for the devil watches and lies in wait for you most of all when you are alone. This devil is conquered by mocking and despising him, not by resisting and arguing with him. Therefore, Jerome, joke and play games with my wife and others. In this way you will drive out your diabolical thoughts and take courage.

This temptation is more necessary to you than food and drink. Let me remind you what happened to me when I was about your age. When I first entered the monastery it came to pass that I was sad and downcast, nor could I lay aside my melancholy. On this account I made confession to and took counsel with Dr. Staupitz (a man I gladly remember) and opened to him what horrible and terrible thoughts I had. Then said he: "Don't you know, Martin, that this temptation is useful and necessary to you? God does not exercise you thus without reason. You will see that he intends to use you as his servant to accomplish great things." And so it turned out. I was made a great doctor (for I may with propriety say this of myself) although at the time when I suffered this temptation I never would have believed it possible. I have no doubt that this will happen to you too. You will become a great man. Just see to it that you are of good courage in the meantime, and be persuaded that such utterances, especially those which fall from the lips of learned and great men, are not without prophetic quality.

I remember that a certain man whom I once comforted on the loss of his son said to me, "Wait and see, Martin, you will become a great man."I have often thought of these words, for, as I have said, such utterances have something of a prophetic quality. Be of good courage, therefore, and cast these dreadful thoughts out of your mind. Whenever the devil pesters you with these thoughts, at once seek out the company of men, drink more, joke and jest, or engage in some other form of merriment. Sometimes it is necessary to drink a little more, play, jest, or even commit some sin in defiance and contempt of the devil in order not to give him an opportunity to make us scrupulous about trifles. We shall be overcome if we worry too much about falling into some sin.
Accordingly if the devil should say, "Do not drink," you should reply to him, "On this very account, because you forbid it, I shall drink, and what is more, I shall drink a generous amount." Thus one must always do the opposite of that which Satan prohibits. What do you think is my reason for drinking wine undiluted, talking freely, and eating more often if it is not to torment and vex the devil who made up his mind to torment and vex me? Would that I could commit some token sin simply for the sake of mocking the devil, so that he might understand that I acknowledge no sin and am conscious of no sin. When the devil attacks and torments us, we must completely set aside the whole Decalogue.' When the devil throws our sins up to us and declares that we deserve death and hell, we ought to speak thus: "I admit that I deserve death and hell. What of it? Does this mean that I shall be sentenced to eternal damnation?By no means. For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction in my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Where he is, there I shall be also."

Yours,

Martin Luther

In moments like these, I take great comfort in this particular letter, written by Martin Luther, to his children's tutor and caretaker, Jerome Weller. Jerome was taken to bouts of depression and angst and while he was away from home preaching, Luther was known to write him to cheer him up.

That is an awesome letter!. Thanks for posting brother. I needed that.

That is an awesome letter!. Thanks for posting brother. I needed that.

You might also consider laying off the booze for 30 days. It's amazing how your mind sharpens and your mood changes after you cleanse it out of your body.

You might also consider laying off the booze for 30 days. It's amazing how your mind sharpens and your mood changes after you cleanse it out of your body.

images.gameskinny.com_gameskinny_87b007fd86a40c5e2a0c64eb1fe181f5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom