• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snakes

NMTracker

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
40   0
Reaction score
I am headed up to Cohutta camping this weekend. In the event I run across a snake worth the trouble, is it legal to kill, skin, and eat it? There doesn't seem to be a "snake season" necessarily but are any of them protected or anything?

I am headed up to Cohutta camping this weekend. In the event I run across a snake worth the trouble, is it legal to kill, skin, and eat it? There doesn't seem to be a "snake season" necessarily but are any of them protected or anything?

All are protected under Ga. law except the poisonous ones, check it out with DNR.

This is taken from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources site:

"Snakes can easily be released from the glueboards by pouring cooking oil over the snake. The oil breaks down the glue and the snake can be removed with a stick or pole. Other than some glue residue that will be lost the next time the snake sheds, the snake will be trapped and released unharmed, which is a good thing since all snakes except venomous ones are protected in Georgia".

If you decide to eat one, don't post it here!

My only problem with the law is that I'm not checking to see if it is poisonous or not, I going to go the other way or bash its head in if no way around it! I understand that they help keep the rodent population down, but I am not that cool with nature to tell from if it will hurt me or my family! I say just leave snakes alone! Maybe I'm just a big baby when it comes to 'em.

Last edited:
My only problem with the law is that I'm not checking to see if it is poisonous or not, I going to go the other way or bash its head in if no way around it! I understand that they help keep the rodent population down, but I am not that cool with nature to tell from if it will hurt me or my family! I say just leave snakes alone! Maybe I'm just a big baby when it comes to 'em.

If not sure try and let it go..many of the non venomous actually kill and eat the venomous ones.
I've got two 6 foot black (chicken) snakes as we kids called them that hang around my backyard and garden been here for years and I like having them around.
As long as they're here, I don't worry so much about the bad ones.

If not sure try and let it go..many of the non venomous actually kill and eat the venomous ones.
I've got two 6 foot black (chicken) snakes as we kids called them that hang around my backyard and garden been here for years and I like having them around.
As long as they're here, I don't worry so much about the bad ones.

While I am no fan of snakes......I agree with Badger. Let the non-venomous snakes live!!!!! And snake does not taste like chicken......it tastes like snake :)

This is taken from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources site:

"Snakes can easily be released from the glueboards by pouring cooking oil over the snake. The oil breaks down the glue and the snake can be removed with a stick or pole. Other than some glue residue that will be lost the next time the snake sheds, the snake will be trapped and released unharmed, which is a good thing since all snakes except venomous ones are protected in Georgia".

If you decide to eat one, don't post it here!

Despite our best intentions, the only thing that may be posted on this site is the story about how one or both of us ran away like little girls when we turned the corner on a coiled up rattler. :)

Back
Top Bottom