• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Snake Season

Swab

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
153   0
Reaction score
Just a reminder to tell the kids to keep their eyes open when playing in this nice weather. I had to put this guy down yesterday just because he was far too close to the house and young kids in the cul-de-sac.

1D7EA4CC-7B39-4089-9D5E-26EB9D5F1FBB.jpeg

Iv'e found baby copperheads in my lawn in years past.
But I've never seen a full-grown one.
I suppose that's because they have such good camo, and stay in the woods rather than on my grass or sidewalk or driveway. In the woods, I'll bet I walk past them without ever seeing them, in blissful ignorance.

Damn, what do they do for dogs when they get bit? I would think it could be potentially deadly for a smaller dog.

Gave the old dog benadryl (she's 16) and took her to the vet. Sounds like a dry bite as it really hasn't swollen up. Vet gave pain reliever and is watching to see if they need antivenom.

copper.jpg

I went shooting at my cabin Saturday but needed to do a little bushhoging first. There was a large (5'+) rat snake under the hood. I tried to move him but he decided to escape INTO the console. :rolleyes: Great. Now he's in there and I have tractoring to do before I can shoot. So I took off bush-hogging repeatedly watching my feet since I had one dump down right on my feet last year in the same situation. That's not really my favorite thing in life. But, I never saw him. Afterwards, when I started to shoot between me and the target I started hearing some buzzing. It was flies. Poor guy must have bailed and the bush hog got him. That was not what I was wanting as he was doing a great job keeping the mice at bay.

I've seen several snakes in my yard but thankfully have never seen a copperhead. And if you knew my yard, you'd be equally shocked.

Back
Top Bottom