• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith 19 hanging in double action

I thought about mentioning that...it's fully possible that he never fired it. I have about 1/2 a dozen Smiths that I have never shot...and an equal number that I shoot constantly. I see no reason that the previous owner should make it right unless he offered a warranty on it (which I highly doubt.) That being said, it should be an easy fix for Mikey since he has the tool to access the rebound spring. Without the tool...major PITA. With the tool...his 15 minutes estimate sounds about right.

My only infraction is from a fight that you picked with me, and we got the same thing. Please stay out of my thread.

Glad you still seem to think that "fight" was completely instigated by me...but I will gladly stay out of any and all of "your" threads on this public forum. Congrats to Okuma Steve on his acquisition of a new partner in the ownership of this site.

Jr. OUT...

I thought about mentioning that...it's fully possible that he never fired it. I have about 1/2 a dozen Smiths that I have never shot...and an equal number that I shoot constantly. I see no reason that the previous owner should make it right unless he offered a warranty on it (which I highly doubt.) That being said, it should be an easy fix for Mikey since he has the tool to access the rebound spring. Without the tool...major PITA. With the tool...his 15 minutes estimate sounds about right.
Good advice. Ive gotten into many Smiths that ended up needing work. Push off, out of time, sluggish action from wrong lube on internals....

[QUOTE I see no reason that the previous owner should make it right unless he offered a warranty on it (which I highly doubt.) [/QUOTE]

Maybe I should change my way of thinking when buying and selling on the ODT.

When I sell a gun here I have fired it and can guarantee that it was working as intended, and I have always felt that when I buy one from another ODT member the same applies to his/her weapon. If I ever sell a gun I have not personally fired (unlikely) then I will make sure the intended purchaser is aware of this and has the firearm checked before he/she uses it. I would expect the same consideration from any seller that is selling me a firearm.

Am I being unrealistic about this? Maybe there are more people in the buying and selling business than in the buying and using business :confused:

Update/repair of problem. Thank you to all of the positive posters and your advice. After the seller refused to repurchase or have the nonworking firearm repaired, I took the advice of the wheel gun gurus, and opened the revolver up for inspection. The trigger return spring was a blued in color like it had been heated or ground, possibly replaced with an oddball spring off a car part, or a Chinese spring assortment. I was able to access a replacement spring, 15 lbs in strength and the correct size for the firearm made by Wolfe gun springs. I was able to test fire it today and it ran great. Thanks Mikey357 for the help. It is a shame that the seller misrepresented the firearms as working, but he did admit that he really didn't know and had not fired it. It costed me a couple hours of time, and some aggravation to get the revolver working to undo the kitchen table gunsmithing, but if I ever sell/trade it you can be assured that it can be counted on to save your life if need be...after all what do we really have other than our health and our reputation.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out, and after seeing your 19-5 in person, I TRULY BELIEVE that you have a Revolver that you can be PROUD to Own, to Shoot and to Pass Down... :) ....mikey357

Thanks for the update handloader. Glad it was something you could take care of. On the up side, you have a great looking Smith at a fair price and your information on fixing it is very useful to us Smith "addicts" should we ever have the same problem! Enjoy.:)

Thanks for the update handloader. Glad it was something you could take care of. On the up side, you have a great looking Smith at a fair price and your information on fixing it is very useful to us Smith "addicts" should we ever have the same problem! Enjoy.:)

Unfortunately, this same Problem WILL show up again--The two most common "Modifications" I see in pre-Owned Smith & Wesson Revolvers I look at are cut-down Rebound Springs--The Trigger Return spring, if you will--and cut-down Strain Screws, which determine Mainspring Tension & the amount of energy transferred from the Mainspring to the Hammer--This can be critical to the Reliable Ignition of cartridges fired in said Revolvers...

Both Modifications are frequently made in a MISGUIDED attempt to lessen the Double Action & Single Action Trigger Pull Weights--Done CORRECTLY, by someone with the attendant knowledge & skill, they are a workable method--Done INCORRECTLY--As in with most "Kitchen Table Action Jobs"--They can turn a well-functioning Revolver into a DANGEROUS, Unreliable "Bucket of Parts"...

My preferred method to reduce the Trigger Pull Weights, after having been "Into The Guts Of" 100+ Smith & Wesson Revolvers over almost 40 years, is to REPLACE the Mainspring & Rebound Spring with QUALITY Aftermarket Reduced-Power units--Be aware that not all "Spring Kits" are created equal--I prefer the Reduced-Power Mainspring made by W.C. Wolff Co. & sold by Brownell's as their "Pro Springs" brand, but there are others that can give satisfactory results as well...

As with ANY "Work" done to ANY Firearm that might be called upon to defend Life & Limb, THOROUGH Testing afterwards to ENSURE RELIABILITY is a necessity...HTH....mikey357

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom