• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith 19 hanging in double action

handloader

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
111   0
Reaction score
I purchased a Smith 19-5 from a member yesterday 12-26-2015 that functions correctly when empty, but when firing live ammunition( tried 2 different kinds) double action, the trigger hangs resetting. Sometimes it must be ''helped'' back into position. Pm'd seller to allow him to drive across town like I did and buy back, but not holding my breath. Anyone else have this before? Seems worth mentioning for $525 and a three hour round trip.View attachment 333367View attachment 333368

Last edited:
Sell it to Bypass. He loves broken guns... :) :pound:
Ha ha,;)

Sorry to hear that handloader. I am pretty sure with that kind of malfunction the seller knew about it before pawning it off on you. Be sure to post feed back so we can see who it was.

Hopefully it will be something that will be an easy fix, because it sure is a great looking Smith. Good luck, and I would be curious to know what the problem turns out to be. I have dealt with the seller before, and he has always been a stand up guy. Not sure what could have happened here.

Last edited:
I left feedback already. Left feedback twice yesterday. Once for some gunpowder I sold to a nice fellow here locally yesterday evening, and the other to the guy who sold me this gun.

it is odd that it is only happening with live fire. I'm not experience with this exact thing, but it is probably easy to fix. It sounds like a gummy or broken trigger return spring, or possibly a dragging hammer safety. Could also possibly be a dragging cylinder lock.

Have you ever opened one up to clean it? If you have not, DONT TRY until you get some pointers, watch a few videos and get some proper screwdrivers so not to scratch that pretty nickel. Better yet get a friend to show you how.

Last edited:
Hopefully it will be something that will be an easy fix, because it sure is a great looking Smith. Good luck, and I would be curious to know what the problem turns out to be. I have dealt with the seller before and he has always been a stand up guy. Not sure what could have happened here.

Pm sent to seller before this post was created.

I would be happy to take a look at it for you sometime--Might be something really simple, like a cut-down Rebound Spring, which is usually part of a "Kitchen Table" Action Job--Let me know, HTH--mikey357

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom