• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Smaller home for retirement?

I have been looking for over 6 months for a small one level ranch with attached garage. Every one I have found needs a lot of repairs, or “tlc” as the realtors call it.
I believe I will have to buy larger just to get a livable house. I am too old and have no desire to do a lot of work in a house.

We down sized a few years ago a far from retirement. We went from 2700 to 1400. We got rid of 1300+ square feet of crap we didn’t need. The less stuff you have the less stuff you realize you need. When I die I don’t want to burden my family with a bunch of stuff that’s stuffed in ever nook and cranny they I don’t use. If I don’t use it I get rid of it. I tell my kids everything you throw away you never me have to clean again. I have no pool to maintain. If we need to entertain I can rent a venue or a pool several times a year with what we save in power bill and upkeep of prior house and pool

I retired end of 2020 but we moved to another home mid 2019.

We wanted smaller but we moved to an about same size place but instead of Master bedroom and four others upstairs it is a rancher w Master on main and 2 other bedrooms.

Old house had a semi finished basement with a bath and bedroom. New house has a finished basement w bath and bedroom.

Best was we sold in Peachtree City at top dollar and made a bunch for a 3,743 sq ft house in Senoia. County taxes, utilities etc all cost less.

My wife and I downsized on house and upsized on land and outbuildings. One unintended benefit is there's no longer a place for our grown kids to move back in.
1qlmai.jpg

We retired 7 years ago and moved form Snellville to North GA (Young Harris).... We built a 3100 square foot home with 3 Masters on 3 different levels and an "office" space over the garage... Another set of stairs... Built on 5 acres of pasture... Not one tree... With walls, gardens, fence and more, the maintenance is overwhelming.... inside and out...

I think we need to downside again....

And I do have a detached 3 car garage, but with a "breezeway" from the house to the garage with barn doors on either side of the breezeway so we can open it up...

Back
Top Bottom