• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Slow Roasted Wild Texas Turkey

FlyDawg72

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
21   0
Reaction score
In December 2011 I was invited to go on a Texas game ranch hunt, came back with a couple trophy white tails and three Rio Grande turkeys. I thought I had made my way through all the vacuum sealed packages from that trip, but found one labelled "Texas turkey breasts" and decided to cook it up.

We have a clay pot roaster that is great for slow roasting and keeping the food moist and tender, so the bird went in with a dry rub of garlic, salt, pepper, dried sage, and a light smear of butter. I layered the pot with a box of chicken broth, red skin potatoes, parsnips, celery, and onions. Then cut 6 sprigs of rosemary from the bush in the herb garden and roasted at 300 for about 6 hours.

Sadly, I have no pics of the finished product from last weekend, but I do have some to share from the leftovers I made into a pesto turkey salad...

My wife is CRAZY health conscience and we both try to cook simply using good, healthy ingredients and fresh when possible.

This is homemade pesto made with basil we grew in our garden...

2 to 4 large handfuls of fresh basil
1 to 3 cups of good extra virgin olive oil (depending how runny you like pesto)
1 cup roasted walnuts or pine nuts
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt to taste
teaspoon of black pepper

put all dry ingredients in food processor, pulse to chop, then begin pouring olive oil SLOWLY until all ingredients begin to mix and incorporate into a thick slurry.

Serve over pasta, steak, chicken, shrimp, or fish as a dipping sauce for the meat.

The attached picture is pesto turkey salad...

1 to 2 pounds of roasted or grilled turkey or chicken
1/4 to 1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup pesto
1/2 cup roasted walnuts, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper
dash of hot sauce

mix together well, I served over a mix of romaine lettuce and arugula greens, with a couple sliced grape tomatoes. You could also use to make a sandwich cold, or toast in a pan grilled cheese style which is AMAZING.

Enjoy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
That looks awesome. I grow basil every year and love making pesto. Smearing pesto on chicken breasts then grilling them is one of my favorites. A little char with the pesto is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom