Skyrim

I may give it a try. Thanks for your imput. May rent oblivion.. or buy from gamestop. Can return for credit if within 30 days. Are the weapons any good? archery.. but just swords and axes? who do you fight?

The weapons are broken up by one or two handed, and each skill has 3-4 types. Axe, mace, sword, and dagger for one handed, and a larger axe, hammer, and sword for two handed. There is a pretty good range within each category too, you will come across swords that are pirate cutlass styles, samurai looking, traditional king arthur stuff, evil looking ones, the whole range.

Skills arent chosen like it Fallout, at least not after the initial player creation. Your skill level with anything (and your player level ultimately) increases as you use things. So, if you use a lot of single handed weapons and light armor, those skills go up. Switch mid-game to heavy armor and archery and those skills go up. Same with magic of different types, and crafting.

Magic is pretty awesome too, I didnt think i would get into it but its pretty sweet. Spells are broken into different types (healing, destruction, conjuration, enchantment, etc) and these skills level up as you use each spell type. So, if you heal yourself or others a lot you get better at healing. Like I said before you can dual-wield magic (either the same spell for double effect or different spells) which is a lot of fun. You can also enchant weapons and armor and items with perks, like +armor, +speech, +carry weight, etc. I got into this part BIG time, had all this custom gear and weapons with awesome effects put on them, really fun to try out different snchantments and once you get a bit further into the game you can lay on some awesome perks on weapons (hit for 50 damage and do another 75 in frost damage to health and stamina, for example).

My favorite part of the game is the new leveling system. It seriously blows my mind how they did it, and it works sooo well. There is no XP, your leveling comes from doing things around the world. If you pick a lock your lockpick skill goes up a bit. Kill someone with a spell and your destruction magic goes up. As these skills level up, you can unlock better perks for each category (locks are 10% easier to pick, then 20% easier to pick, then 30%, etc). You can also unlock new items and the ability to use/wear new gear, and to craft them at metal forges and such.

Your player level increases each time one of these skill levels increase, and thats the only way you increase in player level to get perks and increase stats. You dont go through and say "OK level 23, lets increase Science and Speech this time around..." The skill levels automatically increase as you use each skill, and those in turn level up your player. When you level you get to choose perks in each skill that you want. Its really a cool system, and since you can always go and level up skills you never used the theoretical player level cap is something like 85! I use only light armor so my Light Armor skill is max, but my heavy Armor skill is super weak. At any point I could ditch my light armor, start using heavy armor to increase my heavy Armor skill, and get higher and higher player levels until all skills are at max level and every perk is unlocked. You couldnt do this with Fallout because you only leveled up so many times, so you caould only select a set number of perks over the entire game until your player was "spec'd". In Skyrim, your player never specs out, you could get all skills 100% if you wanted too.

Back
Top Bottom