• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Significant other management strategies for ODTers...

If you have to manage your significant other with regards to purchases, you have the wrong significant other...

Find one that's into all of your hobbies, and above all, keep separate finances. My wife and I have been together 10 years and never once fought over money.
I figured you were on a allowance the way you bitch about prices.

If you have to manage your significant other with regards to purchases, you have the wrong significant other...

Find one that's into all of your hobbies, and above all, keep separate finances. My wife and I have been together 10 years and never once fought over money.
No offense but at 10 years you're just a newlywed I've been married for 37 years ,three kids

No offense but 10 years you're still a newlywed my wife and I have been together for 37 years three kids , And 32 years of s***.
All I can say is honesty is the best policy

No offense but at 10 years you're just a newlywed I've been married for 37 years ,three kids

Nah... Most couples argue about money... So I put in a system where we don't argue about money.

Eg. My wife is down in Louisiana helping her dad with some storm damage stuff. While down there, she found a good deal on a 21" Jayco pull behind camper. She texts me, "I bought a camper when I was down here and will be towing it home with me, can you call State Farm and add it to the policy for me?"

She didn't have to ask for my permission or anything. It's her money.

Having that kind of freedom, not feeling the need to hide things, not feeling like the other person has to give permission... It's liberating. You have the best parts of being in a relationship, but retain a lot of the financial freedom of being single. Don't knock it because your wife told you no. lol

Yeah, kinda hard to go back and renegotiate at this point... lol

I set that expectation early on... I won't put myself in a position where I have to ask permission for what is mine. We do things fair... if something comes up and she needs money for something, I throw her a few grand or whatever, and there have been a time or two where she did the same for me. But overall, money just isn't something that we ever fight over...

I look at it this way... Lets say that my wife was the bread winner... I am just throwing out numbers to make the point... Let's say I made $40k a year and she made $100k a year. I would never take it upon myself to tell her that what she earns is "ours' and dictate to her how to spend her money. I just don't feel that would be right. So, I wouldn't expect someone to do that to me...

Frankly, I don't get guys that let their wife control the money. That's just not me. But I don't control it either. We share some things and other things we do our own thing. Nobody feels like the other is holding anything over them...

I know people that handle their money this way. It’s strange to me. Not wrong, just foreign. I’ve been the sole bread winner since we had our first child. Every dime in this house is ours and we need to be in agreement on how it’s spent. We don’t ask each other about little stuff, but anything significant, we discuss. I don’t see any money as “my” money. I just decide “we” can afford to buy me a new gun, I don’t ask and she unilaterally decides “we” can afford new blinds. As long as those decisions are responsible, neither of us raise an eyebrow when the other brings something new home around here. If I Feel the need to hide a purchase it’s because we can’t afford it.

Nah... Most couples argue about money... So I put in a system where we don't argue about money.

Eg. My wife is down in Louisiana helping her dad with some storm damage stuff. While down there, she found a good deal on a 21" Jayco pull behind camper. She texts me, "I bought a camper when I was down here and will be towing it home with me, can you call State Farm and add it to the policy for me?"

She didn't have to ask for my permission or anything. It's her money.

Having that kind of freedom, not feeling the need to hide things, not feeling like the other person has to give permission... It's liberating. You have the best parts of being in a relationship, but retain a lot of the financial freedom of being single. Don't knock it because your wife told you no. lol
Well, it’s a sure sign of the Apocalypse..
I agree with you on something.
Took me three tries to find the right wife, but I wouldn’t trade this one for two good hunting dogs.
Her account, my account, distribution of household expenses.
She keeps Talbot’s afloat buying clothes, I’m free to buy, sell, trade without question.
Your ODT Price Patrol rants still suck, however.

I know people that handle their money this way. It’s strange to me. Not wrong, just foreign. I’ve been the sole bread winner since we had our first child. Every dime in this house is ours and we need to be in agreement on how it’s spent. We don’t ask each other about little stuff, but anything significant, we discuss. I don’t see any money as “my” money. I just decide “we” can afford to buy me a new gun, I don’t ask and she unilaterally decides “we” can afford new blinds. As long as those decisions are responsible, neither of us raise an eyebrow when the other brings something new home around here. If I Feel the need to hide a purchase it’s because we can’t afford it.

Well, I guess it is not a one size fits all. If you are a couple and one doesn't work and the other brings in $60k, then yeah, my system doesn't work.... If both are bringing in 6 figures each or whatever, then there is more parity, and, more room for discretionary spending... If one of us lost our job for any period of time, then my system wouldn't work any longer and we would be more like what you are describing.

Back
Top Bottom