Side charging folding stocked AR

b.a.customkydex

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
54   0
Reaction score
So I've got a bunch of pieces and parts laying around that I think I'm going to end up with a side charging AR with a folding stock.

Shrek has an upper of mine that is a perfect candidate to build into a side charger. It's an old Colt slick side upper that someone before me milled of the carry handle and add a pic rail to be able to mount some form of optic or whatever similar to a flat top. All this needs is a slot milled down the side for a handle to slide thru.

I've got a new R Guns bolt carrier group that I am going to drill and put a shoulder bolt in it for a charging handle, also going to make a piece to slide over the shoulder bolt so it will rotate. Then going to give it to Dave at BKG and have him get it Nickle Boroned.

I'm going to use a law tactical folding mechanism to be able to fold it up. Got a B5 sopmod stock to go on it.

Got a Warne ramp mount headed my way for the optics that I'll pick up somewhere.....Shrek has my Burris Mtac in a pepr mount that goes on my 3 gun rifle, which I might pick another up just to have them match.

One thing I need is a barrel, I am looking for a 14.5 or 16 inch with mid length gas. If I find a 14.5 I'll just pin the surefire brake and call it good. I've got a 13.8 troy rail that should cover everything nicely. Also going to take and drill and tap the gas block I have to do a set screw gas adjustment.

Should be a pretty compact rifle and fun shooter when done.

And the work starts tomorrow. I plan on taking pics of this along the way to record the process. Tomorrow I'm going to drill and tap the bolt carrier for the charging handle, and mill the upper for it to slide in.

Got the buffer tube to finish the lower, might put that together tonight.

Welp didn't get too far on the work last week....couldn't get access to the mill on Saturday so that got scrapped....did get the lower built and a GI trigger installed in it....holy crapola does it suck balls.

I ordered the barrel today. Aim surplus had 14.5 midlength spikes barrels for 199.95 in stock and delivered, so that's on its way to me. They didn't have any small diameter has blocks in stock or gas tubes.....

So an order with bravo company was placed for a small diameter gas block and a midlength gas tube.

All and all I'm at 265 for a barrel assembly. 130 on the bolt, 30 on the lpk, 38 on the buffer tube assembly, 50 on the upper, 30 on machine work, lower was 275, the rail is coming off another upper so there is no money there. The barrel on the other upper is being sold for 100. I need to sell off a few more things and I'll buy glass to go on top of this set up. So the rifle itself is gonna cost me right around 600 to build, but the total of the parts used is way higher considering the stock is 100, the folder is 200, glass is going in a Warne ramp mount that is 250.

I need to sell off another 100 dollars worth of stuff and I'll buy the glass here off the ODT.

Well, scope was sent back to vortex today, canted reticle.......

Hoping to have it back in a week

But good news, barrel, gas block, and tube came today.

Last edited:
When I grow up ......
uploadfromtaptalk1373733904270.jpg

I wanna be a big boy gun...
uploadfromtaptalk1373733941162.jpg

Back
Top Bottom