• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Should your carbine be on "safe" during a mag change?

Let’s ask the question this way. What would you think would be a best practice in the middle of a firefight?

Train like you fight, and fight like you train.

There was a case involving the death of 2 ventura country deputy sheriffs (California) who in the middle of a firefight took the time to put the expended brass from their revolvers in their pockets.

The range was sand/dirt and the officers developed the habit of pocketing the expended brass because it was a pain to pick up the brass out of the dirt, getting their hands and knees dirty.

This bad habit cost them their lives. Do you really think it would be a great idea to make your weapon inoperable until you moved the safety lever back to fire when seconds count?

1st off, this is my opinion...based off of personal experiences.

Immediate action to correct malfunctions never involve putting your rifle on safe. Same holds true for magazine reloads. However, muzzle awareness and announcing the reload/malfunction is required so other team members pick up your sector.

When transitioning to a sidearm the rifle should be placed in a safe status. Regardless of the reason for transition, the transition is immediate.

1. If out of ammo, there is no fault in not putting in a safe status.

2. If a malfunction occurred, a sudden jolt could render the weapon operable and fire.

3. If transferring to a sidearm for any other reason (ie. too confined quarters) the rifle may be accidentally fired.

The last 2 reasons could result in a negligent discharge and possible injury or death. When given the risk level...train to place or attempt to place the weapon on safe.

No need. Finger off the trigger with good muzzle control is all the safety needed.

A point to note: I feel like if a B.A.D. lever is used on an AR platform, one must be extra careful when doing mag changes and using the lever to send the bolt home.

If Im changing a mag, then that means Im firing my rifle/gun. I know my targets and non targets. Ill aim my barrel accordingly. Why would I add extra steps especially since training will directly impact a potential real life threat situation where every fraction of a second can make a difference and, more steps lead to more potential failure possibilities?

I agree with you.

In a firefight where a mag reload is required, you are pretty much in the **** and would not safety. On the range, reload target clear then safe. Teaches good trigger discipline and doesn't grow bad habits.

The weapon doesnt go on safe till the threat is ended. Teaching such is more old school train of thought in my opinion.

I vote "no" safety switch manipulation for a mag swap.
If it's an administrative mag swap after the shooting appears to be over, maybe, if you think you'll be letting your carbine swing or putting it down while you do other stuff not involving your weapon next (like treat wounded, or operate whatever other thing it's your job to operate-- load that cannon, drive that truck, call out on the radio...

Yeah, it would make sense when the rifle is not under your control anymore, like when it's hanging from a sling, but a mag change seems pretty excessive to me.

Back
Top Bottom