• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun Red Dot, Turkey Hunting?

davans

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
Airborne Infantry
76   0
Reaction score
Thinking about putting a sight on my turkey gun. I prefer open sights on most firearms including AR’s but seems like a good idea to me. Not sure I could justify the cost of an Aimpoint.
What do you think?

In all seriousness, look up the Sightmark Ultra Shot Reflex Sight.
I had one on an 870 a while back and it was rugged for the low price, relatively speaking.
I liked the wide view, as I am getting old(er). :hat:

I’ve had 2 turkey guns with optics on them. I no longer own either. Target acquisition is easier without, and more than not you don’t have time to find the bird in the scope. If I had to have an optic it would be a Burris Speed Bead. https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/speedbead-systems. It’s made specifically for shotguns, and if u can put the dot on him no matter what your head alignment is, he’s a dead bird.

I’ve personally used a Vortex Venom on a Franchi Affinity 12 gauge shooting 3.5” Apex TSS and it held perfectly fine. And those particular Apex kick harder than anything I’ve handled. Also multiple friends use the Burris fastifire 2 and 3 and have no issues. We all use Sumtoy mounts

I’ve had 2 turkey guns with optics on them. I no longer own either. Target acquisition is easier without, and more than not you don’t have time to find the bird in the scope. If I had to have an optic it would be a Burris Speed Bead. https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/speedbead-systems. It’s made specifically for shotguns, and if u can put the dot on him no matter what your head alignment is, he’s a dead bird.
Both are the same. Speed bead gets it closer to your eye for a larger sight picture.
Burris fast fire 3 is the way to go.

I also have a cheap truglo micro red dot on my 835. It has no problem holding zero or any battery issues from recoil from the 3.5". The ff3 is on my 20 gauge, I'll be hunting with it for the first time this coming up season shooting tss. But so far it holds zero just fine as well and has no issues. They're both mounted on picatinny rail. I'll be ordering a sumtoy mount and another ff3 to go on my Stevens 301 .410.

Back
Top Bottom