• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun 5-stand or skeet?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Once a year in the fall I like to take out a couple of shotguns out of the safe to shoot one round of skeet or five stand with each of these guns.

I'm not a shotgun expert by any means; I don't shoot them very often. These days, if I break 10 out of 25 I feel I've had a good day.

WITH THAT IN MIND,
are there any other casual shotgun owners that would like to come out to some range from the North Metro Atlanta area and have a little group get together and break some clays with small birdshot loads?

On a weekend.

I've been considering getting a shotgun and taking up Skeet and Trap. What's a good budget gun for that? One of those Turkish guns like they sell at Academy?

I've been considering getting a shotgun and taking up Skeet and Trap. What's a good budget gun for that? One of those Turkish guns like they sell at Academy?
Find a nice 1100 with choke tubes and you're off to a good start and a good used one is easy to find here on the ODT. If you take up the sport you'll be shooting a lot, a huge amount of shells. The cheapest gun is not really the best way to go. I say to be honest. I can tell you story after story of the guns I've seen fail on the range. Just be patient and wait for the right one. Stay with 12 or 20 gauge. They are the cheaper of the gauges, most available, and usually cost the same whether you buy 12 or 20.

Once a year in the fall I like to take out a couple of shotguns out of the safe to shoot one round of skeet or five stand with each of these guns.

I'm not a shotgun expert by any means; I don't shoot them very often. These days, if I break 10 out of 25 I feel I've had a good day.

WITH THAT IN MIND,
are there any other casual shotgun owners that would like to come out to some range from the North Metro Atlanta area and have a little group get together and break some clays with small birdshot loads?

On a weekend.
I’d be down and am available most weekends. Been shooting a lot of sporting clays lately but have never tried skeet or 5-stand and would like to give them a try.

Bump.
Who else?

Ex313, I've never used an inexpensive over /under, but they seem like a good way to enter the world of clay-busting games without a big investment.

And if you keep the gun in good condition and save the box it came in you can probably sell it for 90% of what you paid if you don't want it anymore.

Make sure it uses screw in-choke tubes that have the correct threading to match some very common and popular models of shotguns. As others have said already, trap shooting involves longer range shots than skeet.

I'm with the fellow above...if starting out, a good 1100 should fill the bill....also like the idea of a couple barrels....skeet shorter barrel, trap/5 stand....longer barrel, hard to do with just choke tubes
you need to find a "friend" that's a member at River Bend.....

I'm in for a shoot in my area at Garland Mountain
it's off Hwy 140 near the Bartow Cherokee County Line (West of Waleska)

Well, that's not gonna happen, this year.

I suggest the Tom Lowe shooting grounds. A Fulton County public range just off Camp Creek Parkway not far from 285,
in between that highway and Fulton industrial Boulevard (Georgia route 70)

Back
Top Bottom