• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shopping list for a new shotshell reloader

Propilot

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score
I am new to Shotshell loading (New Sizemaster), however I have been loading brass for 40 years, so somewhat experienced with what I am doing.

That being said, I would like to hear from all as to what your recipe is, such as wads, powder, technique. I have collected about 500 once fired shell and going shopping for wads soon. What would be as good starting supply?

Pilot Out,

Greg

I've been loading shotgun shells for an extremely long time.
In my opinion, this is not a very good time to start. With the cost of shot near $50.00 per bag, the availability of desired powders and primers questionable, just not a good time to start.
If you are loading 20 ga, you can save a little money. 28 ga or .410 the savings are there not doubt.
At $50.00/bag of shot, if you're loading 12 ga 1-1/8 oz loads, you will have 14 cents in shot per round, add to that a primer at 8 cents, a wad at 4-5 cents and powder at 10 cents, that puts you at $9.25/25 round box.
Buy them at Walmart or Academy (WHEN AVAILABLE). The Walmart near me just had the Winchester 100 round box for $29.97 +tax. You just saved $1.76/ box plus your time.
Just my opinion.

Hi Greg,

Welcome

The load data and type of wads you will need will depend on the hulls.
What brand and type of hulls have you collected?
What type of ammo and for what purpose are you looking to load?

Nothing wrong with learning to load 12 ga target loads just for the experience, but as SKEETER25 SKEETER25 points out, loading 12 ga. target loads is simply not cost effective.

Lead Buckshot, Steel or other non-toxic loads can be cost effective to load in 12 ga, but frequently require special powders and wads which also increase the cost.

Tell us more about your components and how you plan to use the finished shells. There are a lot of great folks on this site with years of reloading experience who can point you in the right direction.

Nice conversation with Double R and thanks for the comments. I am not so much worried about cost, and I love the challenge of scrounging. I want to learn! if for no other reason ability for SHTF!

8/8's & CAVU

When I reloaded 12 ga many years ago for Trap, one of my most often used was Winchester AA hulls, Winchester 209 primers, Titewad powder, Claybuster wads, and 1 1/8 oz of #8 lead shot. The load data can be found on the Hodgdon website:

As far as starting supply of components, I would try a few of different combinations in small quantity and buy in bulk when you find a load that fits your needs.

I've been loading shotgun shells for an extremely long time.
In my opinion, this is not a very good time to start. With the cost of shot near $50.00 per bag, the availability of desired powders and primers questionable, just not a good time to start.
If you are loading 20 ga, you can save a little money. 28 ga or .410 the savings are there not doubt.
At $50.00/bag of shot, if you're loading 12 ga 1-1/8 oz loads, you will have 14 cents in shot per round, add to that a primer at 8 cents, a wad at 4-5 cents and powder at 10 cents, that puts you at $9.25/25 round box.
Buy them at Walmart or Academy (WHEN AVAILABLE). The Walmart near me just had the Winchester 100 round box for $29.97 +tax. You just saved $1.76/ box plus your time.
Just my opinion.
very interesting....back in the mid 1970s, when I was reloading, shooting a lot of skeet. My cost for 12 gauge skeet loads was a penny for powder /Red Dot/ a penny for the wad, a penny for the primer and 2 cents for the shot. Nickel a shell.

I'm with what Skeeter said, Everything is hard as hell to find. I'm loading with 3 MEC 9000 electric in 410,, 20 ,, 28 ga and was smart enough to stock up before SHTF. I'm good to go for a long time.
Good luck finding what you need.

Where would be a source for shot? I want to reload some #9 for skeet, I have the other components. I found some online but the shipping bumps the cost to about $80 for 25 pounds. I can't find any factory #9 at a decent price.

Where would be a source for shot? I want to reload some #9 for skeet, I have the other components. I found some online but the shipping bumps the cost to about $80 for 25 pounds. I can't find any factory #9 at a decent price.

I know it is a long drive from Bremen, but Tom Lowe Shooting Range had Eagle Brand shot the last time I was there.

Although they are out of stock now, Recobs often has #9 with flat rate shipping for 2 bags.

Back
Top Bottom