• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

She crab soup.

Anytime I see she crab soup in a restaurant, I order it. Anyone ever made it at home?

When I was a kid we would use blue crab caught off Folly Beach and my mom would make some awesome she-crab soup.....finished with a shot of sherry, stirred in each bowl IIRC. I will ask her what recipe in my weekly call, she loves talking about the early days.

....just saw your post Pilgrim, those were the days man :)

Ok guys. This is from a friend of a friend of a friend of hers from when we lived on the bay in maryland. Keep in mind it is much better with fresh steamed hand picked crab. This is the base but use old bay cracked black pepper and salt to taste. Ive had the she crab at california dreaming and its very similiar. She will forward the tomato crab soup in the am and i will post it then.

Cream of Crab Soup

1 lb. crab meat
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. butter
1 cup chicken stock (the stronger the better)
1 quart rich milk
1 Tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/2 tsp. mace
dash of red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup sherry
flour to thicken
Instructions:
Cook onion in butter until transparent; add chicken stock and slowly pour in milk. Add all the other seasonings except sherry. Stir in crab meat and simmer 15 minutes. Make a thin paste with about 2 tbsp. flour and a little water; stir into soup to thicken. Before serving, remove from heat and stir in sherry.

Used to eat it a lot in Maryland around Chesapeake Bay area. It was served a lot of places. Many great restaurants around Annapolis. Always served with a little carafe of sherry. Yum. Crab cakes too.

She crab soup is superb. It is a milk/cream base instead of a watery tomato base.

She Crab Soup Recipe:

Recipe Type: Crab, Soup, Chowder, Cream
Cuisine: Charleston, South Carolina Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 10 min

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter, divided2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk1 1/2 cups half and half cream
4 teaspoons finely-grated onion
3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauceSalt and white pepper to taste1/4 teaspoon ground mace1/4 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest (rind)1 1/2 pounds flaked blue crab meat*1/4 cup crab roe**3 tablespoons dry sherry1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh parsley leaves

* If you live in parts of the country where blue crab is not available, other types of crabmeat, such as Dungeness, snow, king, or rock crab, may be substituted.

** Crab roe are the eggs harvested from the female blue crab. The addition of crab roe tints the soup orange and enriches its crabby flavor. Two crumbled hard-cooked egg yolks may be substituted for the crab roe.

Preparation:

In a large, heavy pot over low heat, melt butter; add flour and blend until smooth. Slowly add milk and half and half cream, stirring constantly with a whisk; cook until thickened.

Add onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, white pepper, mace, cayenne pepper, and lemon zest. Bring just to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, add crabmeat and crab roe or crumbled hard-cooked egg yolks; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes (if the soup appears about to boil, remove the pan from the heat for a minute or so, then return).

Remove from heat and add sherry, stirring to mix. Let sit for 3 to 4 minutes before serving.

To serve, pour the soup into individual heated soup bowls, dividing the crabmeat and roe equally into each bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.

Yields: 4 servings.

Thats where i grew up. Half way between baltimore and annapolis.

Used to go there frequently for business travel from Atlanta. Really enjoyed it. Seems like it has gone down hill a good bit. Used to jog in the mornings to between Baltimore Hilton and Lexington Market for coffee and sweet rolls. Probably very dangerous now. Probably was then too for that matter. Annapolis was great.

For those that are interested. She hasnt coverted this to digital yet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430420833.549885.jpg

Back
Top Bottom