• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Set up some ladder stands today, already got injured...LOL.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Well, me and my hunting partner set up two ladder stands on our tract.

Everything went flawlessly until we were cutting some shooting lanes back when my buddy stepped on a ground hornet nest and from then it was ON brother!

My buddy was standing in front of me and started swatting like mad and making those very familiar panicked groan/yelling/almost vomiting in fear noises then I saw all these things flying around him.

Then he says " you got one on your hand" and swatted at me.....so. I swat my hand where it landed and noticed I was bleeding right near where the bee was.

Well, apparently during his panicking he threw down the pole saw and it filleted my hand wide open at the top near my thumb tendon.

My pole saw is still sitting on top of the ground hive where it will stay until I can figure out how to kill them without using gasoline at their entrance holes.
I don't want to put any gas there because I don't want the deer to avoid the area so any suggestions will be welcomed.

Do they make a powder you can dump near the hole that they will drag into the hive to infect and kill their colony?

Anyways when I got home My wife who happens to be a health care provider hooked me up with two butterfly stitches, some antibiotic cream, Benadryl, and some ice for the swelling.
Yep, my hand blew up on the way home and I don't know if it was from the gash or the bee sting since they were in the same area but I've never had bad swelling like that from a bee sting before and I've been nailed by bees more times than I can shake a stick at.

No pics, sorry.

Wait for it to cool off some in the mornings then go in for a early attack. Or buy a new pole saw and get that one back after winter sets in.

Good example of why Ive always wanted to marry a nurse. Im ok with a little blood but if white meat starts showing, Im on the ground lol.

I wouldn't worry too much about the gasoline smell. We've eliminated those nasty yellow jacket nests many, many times with about a coke bottle of gasoline , poured down the hole AFTER dark, when they are mostly all at home tucked into their little beddie-bys. We use a flashlight to find our way back to the "free-fire zone" & gasoline or some of that wasp bomb spray ALWAYS does the trick. The only times we've ever tossed in a match or flaming paper towel was just for laughs & dramatic effect, as the gasoline does the trick. This has never disturbed the deer movement , as by the time deer season ,even bow season arrived, they had either gotten used to it, or it didn't matter. Just DO NOT set the woods on fire!!

Hate to hear about your misfortunes. Get well soon.
These recent thunderstorms blew a basketball sized hornets nest out of a tree and it landed on the side of a logging road in our lease. I'm going back with the Benelli and a hand full of turkey loads to take care of it. Either that or I will let the squirrells take care of it.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Yep I've successfully used gasoline to remove ground hornets in the past.
All it takes literally is a couple small drops in the hole to make them leave by morning.

Maybe I'll just do that and see what happens......at night of course.

Back
Top Bottom