Serial numbers??? Markings??? License plates??

They don’t if you have a carry permit, the paperwork you fill out stays at the store. I got this info from the owner of Appalachian gun and pawn. If the atf wants it they could come get it or get it faxed but it stays there until there is a need for it to not to.

They have the right to INSPECT, and the store owners have the right to stop the inspection if there is a suspicion that the information is just being copied down for future use. The way the 'system' is supposed to work is that federal statute makes it illegal for the government to create a 'database.' Secondly, the means of accessing serial number/purchaser information is by warrant - court order with the reason being the weapon was used in a crime, etc. LE is supposed to take a crime-used recovered weapon, use the make and S/N to query the MFR and determine where the gun was sold. If to a LGS, then the warrant is used to present to the Form 4473 holder to provide the final sale information...

Why cover them??
I always see it..
Doesn't take from add but why go the extra steps to conceal serial numbers??
You afraid somone gonna copy it.. or find were you live..
Please explain??
Cause you can't find info on nothing with a serial number off a gun.. unless you registered it with atf..
Otherwise that paperwork goes in a file.. theres no way to track anything..
So why cover it...
What are you trying to hide from??

The one thing I can think of, which happened to a guy on here. He had an issue with a firearm and posted it online asking questions. Something turned out to be out of spec but some one used those photos get a free part shipped to them and then he was sol when he reached out.

Ever wonder why the FBI does the background checks and why they employe contractors to do NICS? Contractors are not subject to the same laws as the FBI they serve.

Nobody needs to know the serial numbers but the buyer/seller.

Too many scammers and anti-gun types out there. Why give them info, they have no need in knowing? Not worried about the feds getting serials, if there is a 4473 form.

I don’t hide serial numbers but pretty sure if somebody wanted to get at you they could take the serial numbers from the gun and turn in stolen—even though your the owner. I could be wrong though.
I've heard that if you report a gun as stolen you have to give your own name and address, that way if you falsely report it as being stolen you can be charged with a crime.

Back
Top Bottom