• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Selling/trading car in Ga with out of state title in parents name?

ocean_glocker

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
140   0
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
My folks are getting ready to get trade in my old college car but I proposed that rather trading it in they give it me to sell or trade for stuff on here... But it's titled in NC under my Mothers name. What steps need to be taken to do that??

Thanks for the help.

Private vehicle sale. You will need your mom to sign the title on the seller line and mail it to you if you are in possession of/selling the car here. Also get a BOS stating mileage/as is - no warranty/ etc. for your record. If it won't pass emissions make sure you disclose to the buyer and get it in writing that it won't pass. That's about it.

I thought about selling my college car, a 70 vette, but my dad went ahead and sold it for me!!! But that was in 1971
I was on a vacation cruse complements of my rich uncle Sam

If you get it transferred to your name in ga, you'll have to pay a tag fee, which is a sales tax in disguise. It also doesn't matter if you pay or get it free, it is whatever the state of ga says it's worth- then they demand 6-7% of that value. Not even tax deductible because it is a "fee" not a tax.

If you get it transferred to your name in ga, you'll have to pay a tag fee, which is a sales tax in disguise. It also doesn't matter if you pay or get it free, it is whatever the state of ga says it's worth- then they demand 6-7% of that value. Not even tax deductible because it is a "fee" not a tax.

That's what I was thinking. But if I can sell/trade it without doing that (which it sounds like I can) that's what I'm gonna go with.

My father in law move to Florida a few months ago and left his car with me to sell. I had him sign the title, and have a notarized power of attorney made giving me authority to sell the car on his behalf. I signed the bill of sale when it sold and gave all the paperwork to the buyer. Never heard from them again so everything must have been fine

Back
Top Bottom