• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Seems like times are tough right now

Basically here, it’s the ones who made smart life choices, worked hard, invested well, and are retired with a good healthy nest egg. Being lucky and avoiding serious health issues also helps.
Then there are those who live day-to-day, paycheck to paycheck, never seeming to get on track. Sometime the cause is self-inflicted, other times it’s life’s unforeseen hurdles. Bidenomics is creating more of these daily.
Totally agree with this. ^^^^
Even if hard work and the choice is taken to run lean for a better living later in life, hurdles that are hard and sometimes impossible to overcome can arise. We roll the dice every day we wake up.

Exactly, CHOICES. If you're making $80k and have 4 kids and are renting, you made some choices....
Yes I realize there are all sorts of stories and circumstances, but in general, live within your means.
I currently live in a home that costs twice what I ever thought I'd pay. Paid cash. Zero debt. But..... all three of my vehicles have over 100k on them and my daily is 22 years old. Choices....
The difference is you have most of the control. And that is a very good feeling

I see kids driving 60k vehicles with $1000+ phones saying they are broke and posting pictures from concerts and beach trips. I see folks complain they have to put brakes on their car because they dont have the money and then the next weekend they are at disney. Guys with side by sides, duck boats and $300 camo costumes complaining they dont have any money. Folks smoking $8 a pack cigarettes and drinking $4 energy drinks and then beer every night. I also see them sell boutique clothes new with tags wondering where there money goes. Broke and poor sure looks a lot different than it did when i was broke and poor.

I am probably a little tight but Im proud of my kid in college when she calls every other friday and ask me to transfer money from her checking to savings.
Yet I know folks who claim to be broke and are worth millions, its that mentality why they have millions.

No offense, but a college age student shouldnt need to call daddy to move money from their checking to savings, its literally a couple clicks when they logon to their bank site.

Yet I know folks who claim to be broke and are worth millions, its that mentality why they have millions.

No offense, but a college age student shouldnt need to call daddy to move money from their checking to savings, its literally a couple clicks when they logon to their bank site.
No offense taken. I promise she is capable. The savings/money market is in my name at another bank and she doesn't want access because its an out of sight out of mind. The kid is 19 but extremely independent so I'm willing to help anyway she will let me. I don't know many that are working, a full time student, a intern with the youth at her church and able to save money.

Yeah I live like Im broke so that I am not. Ive been broke and dont want to go back. My Pappy always said a man with money doesnt have to put on a show to look like he has money.

Of course I was talking to a guy a few years ago and he was talking about being broke. The guy was in a new truck etc. I asked him about it and he laughed and said two things Ill never forget. "If you owe it show it" and "the bank wont be coming to my house to repo and old truck"

Totally agree with this. ^^^^
Even if hard work and the choice is taken to run lean for a better living later in life, hurdles that are hard and sometimes impossible to overcome can arise. We roll the dice every day we wake up.
This is very true. The difference is to live a little and save something for the future. It may not be much, but anything is better than nothing. Even if it's only pennies. The younger you are, the more time you have to build something. Rome wasn't built in a day

Agreed, but he knows what's going on in his child's life. And I'm sure she could. It's a relationship they have, not a bad thing

Everyone in my circle of friends, frat bothers , hunt club members, and close family have or will retire with a defined benefit pension plan ( including me). You did not have to be a financial guru . You just had to maintain employment long enough with a financially stable business /organization to qualify.

These type plans no longer exist and gas is no longer $ 1 a gallon. In the " good ole days " a defined benefit plan plus a paid for house at the time of retirement that could be sold for 10 times what you paid for it are long gone.

Sure life choices play a role but...Ecclesiastes 9:11

11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. 12 For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

We were poor money wise but rich in home love..In my time raised in a home that had to eat on a budget , we learned..So as I grew up went to war and came home with the determination I would not be poor..So I went to college got married to a wonderful Bride and had two kids..My first home cost $21,000. Started saving from day one and did not purchase a new truck until I was in my late 40's. But things happen and at least I was semi prepared..To me Poverty is a choice most of the time..I just got motivated not to make that choice.

Exactly, CHOICES. If you're making $80k and have 4 kids and are renting, you made some choices....
Yes I realize there are all sorts of stories and circumstances, but in general, live within your means.
I currently live in a home that costs twice what I ever thought I'd pay. Paid cash. Zero debt. But..... all three of my vehicles have over 100k on them and my daily is 22 years old. Choices....
How dare you expect people to be held responsible for the life choices THEY have made.That is mean, insensitive, uncaring is completely full of common sense and reason and we don’t need that kind of hate here. Where is your humanity and emotionally driven logic to explain why it is everyone else’s fault they have dug a hole and keep digging deeper. ……..😆

Back
Top Bottom