• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Seasoning a Cast Iron Skillet

Totally agree with the upside down method. I use crisco and upside down in the oven for an hour at 300*.
There are a bunch of different ways but this has worked well for me. I usually grind to a smooth finish first when they’re new or have a coarse finish.
Be tough to put a 12 gallon pot in an oven..

Looking for someone who can bead blast or clean a 10-12 gallon cast iron pot or direct me how to so I can reseason. Many a fish fry in it growing up.
Probably easier to us a wire brush on a drill. If you want to bring it up to me I'll be happy to do it but it would probably be cheaper to by a small hand held blaster from harbor freight that to buy gas to get here.

Because of some reason it smoked my house up, I grease mine with crisco and used the gas grill outside.. put the pan up side down.. did em twice apiece.. that seemed to worked for me

So I see options with just regular vegetable oil and one with bacon grease does the oil that you use or select have a impact on the flavor we use it everything taste better with bacon

Yes the oil you use effects the hardness of the coating as well as the smoke point. If you go with an oil that has a low smoke point and use it for high temp cooking you will be opening every window in your house to get it out.

Make sure you never wash with any kind of soap. Usually best wiped out with paper towel. Always use plenty of butter/oil when heating

I sandblasted and polished mine. Then keep it seasoned with veggie oil. I heat it up pretty hot on stove top and rub the oil in. Very thin. Wipe off any residue. Too much is sticky.

I found mine in my grandpa’s barn. In the dirt. It was covered in baked on crap and rust. It’s slick as snot now.

We just remodeled our kitchen. Went to use our cast skillet and somehow it was donated to Goodwill by accident. So I am buying a new one and need to know what you guy's do to season one before using it. Any brand better than another?
Oh No!! Man those just get better with age.....

Back
Top Bottom