• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scope recommendations under $600

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
Going on a 308. Will be used for hunting, but also intermediate range shooting out to 600ish yards.

Needs to be at least 4-12x50 and 30 or 34 mm tube. Would prefer a little more magnification.

Needs to weigh less than 2 pounds! I don't need or care about an illuminated reticle.

Would prefer a reticle with holdover marks/lines. (Maybe wrong term?) I.e. I don't want a simple duplex or mil dot reticle. Doesn't need to be BDC.

Don't expect top tier glass, but needs to be at least decent.

I currently have an Alpen 2.5-10x50 that I have shot at 600 yds and spotted another shooter's hits on steel at 600 with. Alpen went out of business a while ago. My Alpen was under $250 and for the money was surprisingly good glass quality. I've seen newer scopes that cost more money with a lot worse glass.

I'm just looking to upgrade to something with a little better glass, more magnification, a few more features.

Any suggestions that check all the boxes and aren't $700 and up?

Going on a 308. Will be used for hunting, but also intermediate range shooting out to 600ish yards.

Needs to be at least 4-12x50 and 30 or 34 mm tube. Would prefer a little more magnification.

Needs to weigh less than 2 pounds! I don't need or care about an illuminated reticle.

Would prefer a reticle with holdover marks/lines. (Maybe wrong term?) I.e. I don't want a simple duplex or mil dot reticle. Doesn't need to be BDC.

Don't expect top tier glass, but needs to be at least decent.

I currently have an Alpen 2.5-10x50 that I have shot at 600 yds and spotted another shooter's hits on steel at 600 with. Alpen went out of business a while ago. My Alpen was under $250 and for the money was surprisingly good glass quality. I've seen newer scopes that cost more money with a lot worse glass.

I'm just looking to upgrade to something with a little better glass, more magnification, a few more features.

Any suggestions that check all the boxes and aren't $700 and up?

SWFA 3x15x42 - I know not 50mm but it’s still a good scope

Athlon Helos - 2x12x42 - obviously not 50mm

Arken SH4 GENII - 4x16x50

Lower end vortex like the HST or Diamondback tactical

Meopta 6 - 3x18x50

Arken EP5 - 5x25x56 but I think it’s over your weight limit.

There’s also the new PA SLX 5-25x56 and 3x18x50, probably also over your weight limit.

Depending on how rigid you want to be on your requirements, you are probably looking at something used. The Arken 300_whisper 300_whisper mentioned is most likely the least expensive "good" option you have but exceeds your weight requirements.

Euro Optic has this Vortex on sale. The scope Bushwhacker Bushwhacker has listed is also a good option.

Quality of the glass can make low magnification work great at longer ranges. If you could put just a ittle more money into it you could be looking at a Nightforce SHV 3-10. I shoot 600 yards and more with one of these on two different rifles (300 WSM bolt gun and a M1a) and don't feel either are under magnified. It has all the other features you are looking for.

Quality of the glass can make low magnification work great at longer ranges. If you could put just a ittle more money into it you could be looking at a Nightforce SHV 3-10. I shoot 600 yards and more with one of these on two different rifles (300 WSM bolt gun and a M1a) and don't feel either are under magnified. It has all the other features you are looking for.
You are definitely not wrong about that at all. The two scopes I have at the moment are the previously mentioned Alpen 2.5-10 and a Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18 on another rifle. The difference in glass quality is obvious between the two as I can see better at 10x with the Alpen than at any magnification with the Bushnell at the same distances despite it having 8x more magnification.

Back
Top Bottom