School me on CETME Rifles, Kits, Performance

Why should I get a CETME.

• I have High Points in every caliber and model, I need to expand.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perfect BLIP I just happen to have one for sale... Tree Fiddy you come to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Experience, everyone needs an experience.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • You could hold up Taco Bell and get your Fiesta on.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Serious dude. Stick to beater shotguns you have enough crap.

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
As others have said, the CETME was the predecessor to the G3, or HK91 in civilian form. Many of the parts interchange, so surplus parts used to be plentiful and cheap. If you want to make your own you need to know how to weld, or know someone who knows how to weld, and you may have to at least partially form the receiver yourself. It' does not look as easy (to me) to form as an AK receiver, as the cross section is more complex.

I have owned a C308 in the past which I bought used, and it always worked, 100% reliable, but it was terribly inaccurate. When I shined a light down the bore the rifling went about halfway, stopped, then started again. That probably had something to do with it! The receiver was not formed well enough to accept HK accessories such as the famous (infamous?) clamping mount for the scope. I sold it to a dealer after informing him of its accuracy problems.

Then I bought a PTR-91, also used. MUCH better for accuracy, but not stunning. Certainly good enough for Rifleman work. 100% reliable.

Ergonomics of the platform suck. I wear size large gloves and couldn't reach the safety without shifting my grip. Charging the rifle requires the shooter to reach WAY up, "break" open the handle, and pull it back what seems about 12 inches before releasing it. Of course, you can lock the bolt back, insert a mag, and do the uber cool "HK Slap" that looks so cool in the movies. There is no last round bolt hold open, and the platform has a very long action, making the rifle longer than others. They are also fairly heavy due to the really heavy bolt carrier assembly.

The rifle also seems to recoil more than, say, an AR-10. The sights are acceptable, but not easily "dialed in" without tools. It requires a special tool to set elevation, but you can get by with pliers and a screwdriver. Once set there is a built in BDC, and no other adjustments are possible. The PTR has a picatinny rail welded to the top, so it's easy to mount a scope.

The platform is known for sending two projectiles down range - the bullet and the casing, which is ejected "enthusiastically". They have fluted chambers to aid in extraction; this causes brass to be marked pretty significantly. People say you can't reload them, but I've got a friend who used to reload his, but it was from and actual HK91, not a PTR 91.

You also have to keep on top of the bolt gap, which changes with roller / chamber wear. There are various sized rollers available to adjust the bolt gap properly.

At the time I bought it, accessories were CHEAP. We're talking $2 magazines. Multiple types of handguards - round, triangular, black plastic, green plastic, wood. Carry handles, complete surplus lower assemblies, slings, bipods, etc.

Perfectly put. Also, when we say cheap you used to be able to get a surplus set of wood, foliage green, and black furniture for $20 + $9.95 shipping from Cheaper Than Dirt, before they went bad.
OP are you stuck on this platform or open to other 308s? I recommend a ar10 over this but if you're like me sometimes you just get fixed on something.

After WW2, the Germans were not allowed to make small arms. Mr. Heckler and Mr. Koch went to Spain to develop the delayed roller lock system. This is where the Cetme C in 308, and latter the Cetme L in 223 came from. After the ban on small arms was lifted in Germany, H&K returned to their home country. The G3 got it's name because it was 3rd battle rifle used by the German army.
thanks for sharing thats good info

As others have said, the CETME was the predecessor to the G3, or HK91 in civilian form. Many of the parts interchange, so surplus parts used to be plentiful and cheap. If you want to make your own you need to know how to weld, or know someone who knows how to weld, and you may have to at least partially form the receiver yourself. It' does not look as easy (to me) to form as an AK receiver, as the cross section is more complex.

I have owned a C308 in the past which I bought used, and it always worked, 100% reliable, but it was terribly inaccurate. When I shined a light down the bore the rifling went about halfway, stopped, then started again. That probably had something to do with it! The receiver was not formed well enough to accept HK accessories such as the famous (infamous?) clamping mount for the scope. I sold it to a dealer after informing him of its accuracy problems.

Then I bought a PTR-91, also used. MUCH better for accuracy, but not stunning. Certainly good enough for Rifleman work. 100% reliable.

Ergonomics of the platform suck. I wear size large gloves and couldn't reach the safety without shifting my grip. Charging the rifle requires the shooter to reach WAY up, "break" open the handle, and pull it back what seems about 12 inches before releasing it. Of course, you can lock the bolt back, insert a mag, and do the uber cool "HK Slap" that looks so cool in the movies. There is no last round bolt hold open, and the platform has a very long action, making the rifle longer than others. They are also fairly heavy due to the really heavy bolt carrier assembly.

The rifle also seems to recoil more than, say, an AR-10. The sights are acceptable, but not easily "dialed in" without tools. It requires a special tool to set elevation, but you can get by with pliers and a screwdriver. Once set there is a built in BDC, and no other adjustments are possible. The PTR has a picatinny rail welded to the top, so it's easy to mount a scope.

The platform is known for sending two projectiles down range - the bullet and the casing, which is ejected "enthusiastically". They have fluted chambers to aid in extraction; this causes brass to be marked pretty significantly. People say you can't reload them, but I've got a friend who used to reload his, but it was from and actual HK91, not a PTR 91.

You also have to keep on top of the bolt gap, which changes with roller / chamber wear. There are various sized rollers available to adjust the bolt gap properly.

At the time I bought it, accessories were CHEAP. We're talking $2 magazines. Multiple types of handguards - round, triangular, black plastic, green plastic, wood. Carry handles, complete surplus lower assemblies, slings, bipods, etc.
That my friend is the winner of the internet far leaving me a whole plate of verbiage to fully explore.
With all that said, with the knowledge you have, picking the caliber of your choosing and the skill to fabricate would you consider building or buying a used one?
Which model would you choose and what caliber?
Thanks for your input!! :thumb::first:

i have one. dont let them fool you.. the flat receiver is cheap, the barrel is what you pay up for...
you can build one for around 750 or so, you can buy one for around 900.
as stated earlier in the thread, they eat cases. its a fluted chamber, it eats and is made for steel case, and it will run dirty as crap.
fun guns, i have one.. been thinking of trading it off. i have a buddy who has a fal i may be able to get...

That my friend is the winner of the internet far leaving me a whole plate of verbiage to fully explore.
With all that said, with the knowledge you have, picking the caliber of your choosing and the skill to fabricate would you consider building or buying a used one?
Which model would you choose and what caliber?
Thanks for your input!! :thumb::first:

Personally, I would buy a used PTR-91 if you've just got to have one. You can make one yourself if you're a good TIG welder, have the patience, and want to do the research and work. It's would be a good project - but I've got PLENTY of projects going right now.

So my advice, if you've just got to have the platform, would be to just buy a PTR-91 in .308. The platform is chunky, and there are MUCH lighter options in 5.56mm. For me, the 5.56 versions aren't worth it. A CETME or G3 platform should be 7.62mm x 51, as God intended.

I eventually sold mine and went with an AR-10 instead. Lighter, shorter, many more accessories, free float handguards, better accuracy, much cheaper and plentiful magazines, better ergonomics, last round bolt hold open. For me, the rifle is a tool, and the AR-10 is a better one, in my opinion.

But, I will say, the G3 platform has a lot of coolness points, and is a fun range toy. Like a Garand, there are better .30 caliber options - but they're still fun, and send a lot of energy downrange. If you want one, then go for it.

And now all this discussion is making me want one again.

The cases are reloadable if your rifle has a port buffer. The fluted chamber does not damage the cases. They can be reloaded several times, if you can find them.

Personally, I would buy a used PTR-91 if you've just got to have one. You can make one yourself if you're a good TIG welder, have the patience, and want to do the research and work. It's would be a good project - but I've got PLENTY of projects going right now.

So my advice, if you've just got to have the platform, would be to just buy a PTR-91 in .308. The platform is chunky, and there are MUCH lighter options in 5.56mm. For me, the 5.56 versions aren't worth it. A CETME or G3 platform should be 7.62mm x 51, as God intended.

I eventually sold mine and went with an AR-10 instead. Lighter, shorter, many more accessories, free float handguards, better accuracy, much cheaper and plentiful magazines, better ergonomics, last round bolt hold open. For me, the rifle is a tool, and the AR-10 is a better one, in my opinion.

But, I will say, the G3 platform has a lot of coolness points, and is a fun range toy. Like a Garand, there are better .30 caliber options - but they're still fun, and send a lot of energy downrange. If you want one, then go for it.

And now all this discussion is making me want one again.
Thanks. Sorry I Woke some old ghosts :becky:

I would think the 308 kits are mostly dried up by now? cause Century used so many of them making their CETMEs... the 308s handled like a large heavy 2x4, trigger pulls were gritty & HEAVY.

I've had a G8, a Cetme 308, a C308 (basically the same as the Cetme, but newer), and now a PTR-91.

Prefer the PTR-91 to all of them, as there wasn't a one before that didn't give me issues.

Back
Top Bottom