• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

School me on bulletproof vests plates etc.

Issues with armor nobody mentioned... If you don't train and practice wearing it then you will be ineffective in the field. Steel armor has the risk of spalling, meaning if you take a hit fragments can mangle your body around the impact, also a possibility is ricochet, causing damage to you or others nearby. Therfore, ceramic is the way to go, if you are intent in getting armor. However, I would recommend that a solid medical kit, training, and a nij rated helmet would be a better use of resources.

Yes, you can find ballistic vests that are made of soft Kevlar like armor, and with Front and back pockets where you can insert your own choice of hard rifle-bullet stopping plates. The parts of the vest that are outside of the plate area will only protect you from handgun bullet impacts, but that's better than having a plate carrier that offers no ballistic protection if the incoming bullet misses the hard plate.
If you were buying/ putting one together for yourself for everyday wear, what would it be?

For everyday wear... like as a cop? SWAT officer?
Soldier? VIP or the VIP's bodyguard? Would it need to be concealable or at least discreet? What about mag pouches and extra pockets & attachment points for other stuff?

I don't think I'd have a rig like this for "daily wear" in my life, as a civilian, a lawyer.

One thing I'd want is a big pocket for the hard rifle-rated plate.

I just saw a Level III vest, that had 620 in.² total of soft armor protection front back and sides-- in size 2 XL)
that was selling for only $300.

But, the front and back pockets were really built for something more like a trauma pad or trauma plate; a small size. Something like 5 x 7 or 5 x 8"
I want a full sized plate to fit in the front and back pockets-- something like 9 x 11".

Depending on how deep your pockets are, safelife defense now offers flexible multi-hit rifle armor that can stop a .50 cal round. Not saying that your organs wouldn’t be turned to jello from the blunt force trauma but at least you’d have the option of an open casket. Just google safelife defense. I swear by their products and wear one of theirs vests 12hrs a day. Oh, and they also have a payment Plan option.

Depending on how deep your pockets are, safelife defense now offers flexible multi-hit rifle armor that can stop a .50 cal round. Not saying that your organs wouldn’t be turned to jello from the blunt force trauma but at least you’d have the option of an open casket. Just google safelife defense. I swear by their products and wear one of theirs vests 12hrs a day. Oh, and they also have a payment Plan option.

Why in the hell would somebody want body armor to stop at 50 Cal around?

Let’s think about this for a second...

Are you talking about some regular 50 Cal ammo that is on the civilian market made for civilian use, or are you talking about some military applications, M 33 ball, M 17 trace, M 20 API- T, MHAPI, MK211 API, or Mk 257 API- DT, MK 263 AP..

Never mind the M962 SLAP or the M903 rounds....

Hang on, it doesn’t even matter what bullet you get hit with in that range anyway if you do get hit with a 50 Cal round thats going to do so mich internal damage regardless of any external that happens... it will push your plate so far and inside of your chest it doesn’t matter about a back face deformation. At that point you’re talking about collapse lungs broken ribs, at the point of penetration into vital organs.

Don’t waist you money pursuing 50Cal protection, you’re ****ed if you get hit with this round regardless of the amount of protection you have on your torso.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why in the hell would somebody want body armor to stop at 50 Cal around?

Let’s think about this for a second...

Are you talking about some regular 50 Cal ammo that is on the civilian market made for civilian use, or are you talking about some military applications, M 33 ball, M 17 trace, M 20 API- T, MHAPI, MK211 API, or Mk 257 API- DT, MK 263 AP..

Never mind the M962 SLAP or the M903 rounds....

Hang on, it doesn’t even matter what bullet you get hit with in that range anyway if you do get hit with a 50 Cal round thats going to do so mich internal damage regardless of any external that happens... it will push your plate so far and inside of your chest it doesn’t matter about a back face deformation. At that point you’re talking about collapse lungs broken ribs, at the point of penetration into vital organs.

Don’t waist you money pursuing 50Cal protection, you’re ****ed if you get hit with this round regardless of the amount of protection you have on your torso.....

Well no ****...... did you even ready the entire message before your rant? You repeated exactly what I said, you just used more words. I think you forgot what the OP requested.... to be schooled on body armor options. So it’s safe to say you nor I know what it’s intended purposes would be. Everyone is touting steel plates (which are heavy as hell and offer less coverage) when there’s an option that offered more coverage, is lighter and outperforms said plates with no spalling issues.
You ask why would someone want body armor that would stop a 50 cal round.....well my response to that would be, because people own 50 caliber weapons ‍♂️

Well no ****...... did you even ready the entire message before your rant? You repeated exactly what I said, you just used more words. I think you forgot what the OP requested.... to be schooled on body armor options. So it’s safe to say you nor I know what it’s intended purposes would be. Everyone is touting steel plates (which are heavy as hell and offer less coverage) when there’s an option that offered more coverage, is lighter and outperforms said plates with no spalling issues.
You ask why would someone want body armor that would stop a 50 cal round.....well my response to that would be, because people own 50 caliber weapons ‍

Your right.. I have had lots of folks ask and thought I’d draw attention to this however my delivery was wrong...

You were right I’m not disputing it... I thought id throw in additional information for those that have been wanting time know...

Your right.. I have had lots of folks ask and thought I’d draw attention to this however my delivery was wrong...

You were right I’m not disputing it... I thought id throw in additional information for those that have been wanting time know...

No harm, no foul brother. I completely understood your point. I compare it to cars. Who wants a car that will ONLY go the speed limit lol. I may never need to go 100+, but having the option is nice.

Back
Top Bottom