• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Savage Edge

Here's sorta a review I did a while back
I picked one up In 7mm-08
Ok I gotta start by saying I have not fired this rifle yet but I did take it apart and inspect it. There are some things I like and some things I don't and some of the features I don't like may actually have hidden benefits I'm not aware of yet. I figure I could go over some of my findings since most gun shops aren't real thrilled about customers disassembling weapons they haven't paid for yet.

Things I like about it
The wrist(pistol grip portion) of the stock is thin and has a nice feel, very ergonomic.
The weight,at 61/2 lbs it is light and points fast and easily.
The recoil pad is very soft and should be effective
It has a floating bolthead ala model 110
It has a barrel nut
It has a cocking indicator on the back of the bolt.

Things I either don't like or am unsure about
The stock despite its really nice feel has a forearm that is flimsy and can easily make barrel contact, one of the major complaints from the older synthetic 110s that led to the new accustock.
The recoil lug is weird, It is a plate attached to the stock (I'm guessing press fit into a groove?) and simply slides into a slot in the front of the action when you put the action in the stock.(my first thought was this thing is broke)
The trigger is not like on the 110 and is very very heavy to me.and the spring isn't something you're gonna find at your local hardware store.(its gonna be a booger to make or modify correctly (if you had the right spring pack, changing em would be a breeze)).there is of course no sear adjustment (Yet!) I saw somewhere that an aftermarket manufacturer was working on a trigger.( rifle basix has one now for $89)
the trigger guard is of a strange design.(feels cheap and fits the stock different from most trigger guards.)

. I put a Vortex 3-9x40 Diamondback on it but still haven't been to the range with it. During this little excersise I found out a couple of things about mounting a scope on the Edge. The one piece bases for other Savage rifles wont fit it.(neither long or short action) The overall distance between the front two mounting screw holes and the rear two mounting screw holes is entirely different than what Savage has been building. The good news is that the distance in between the mount screws in the rear and the front stayed the same so 2 piece round rear (accutrigger) bases will work.

After inspection I can see where they can sell em and make a profit at this price point

If it shoots like my other Savages I'm gonna be very happy if it dosen't Ill sell it and buy a 110 cause I know they are good solid rifles.

Last edited:
yeah i have shot a few and they are pretty nice ...but i keep coming back to the fact that you can find a used 110 at a pawn shop for 250 out the door ....and a 110 is just every hunter dreams come tru in my book ( and judging by your choice of 243 your planning on hunting with it )

Well I got one.Ordered a 243 in camo finish for $300 + tax.Beats hell out of trying to find one on S&S.Thanks for the input.Yeah its the go to gun.Putting the Model 70's away. Found a site with a review about the rifle.gunblast.com/Savage Edge 243.Thanks all.

Last edited:
Got to handle two at a gunshop yesterday. Had a couple of observations -- first of all the LOP is about an inch longer than what I consider standard. The action length on the .223 looks to be long enough to handle a .270. But for a retail price of $319 not too shabby. They had a really nice looking camo job on them.

They use the same action for long and short.It's the go every where gun and I won't have to worry about scratching it up.Pick up a 3x9x40 scope to go on it.Made me happy.

Here's sorta a review I did a while back
I picked one up In 7mm-08
Ok I gotta start by saying I have not fired this rifle yet but I did take it apart and inspect it. There are some things I like and some things I don't and some of the features I don't like may actually have hidden benefits I'm not aware of yet. I figure I could go over some of my findings since most gun shops aren't real thrilled about customers disassembling weapons they haven't paid for yet.

Things I like about it
The wrist(pistol grip portion) of the stock is thin and has a nice feel, very ergonomic.
The weight,at 61/2 lbs it is light and points fast and easily.
The recoil pad is very soft and should be effective
It has a floating bolthead ala model 110
It has a barrel nut
It has a cocking indicator on the back of the bolt.

Things I either don't like or am unsure about
The stock despite its really nice feel has a forearm that is flimsy and can easily make barrel contact, one of the major complaints from the older synthetic 110s that led to the new accustock.
The recoil lug is weird, It is a plate attached to the stock (I'm guessing press fit into a groove?) and simply slides into a slot in the front of the action when you put the action in the stock.(my first thought was this thing is broke)
The trigger is not like on the 110 and is very very heavy to me.and the spring isn't something you're gonna find at your local hardware store.(its gonna be a booger to make or modify correctly (if you had the right spring pack, changing em would be a breeze)).there is of course no sear adjustment (Yet!) I saw somewhere that an aftermarket manufacturer was working on a trigger.( rifle basix has one now for $89)
the trigger guard is of a strange design.(feels cheap and fits the stock different from most trigger guards.)

. I put a Vortex 3-9x40 Diamondback on it but still haven't been to the range with it. During this little excersise I found out a couple of things about mounting a scope on the Edge. The one piece bases for other Savage rifles wont fit it.(neither long or short action) The overall distance between the front two mounting screw holes and the rear two mounting screw holes is entirely different than what Savage has been building. The good news is that the distance in between the mount screws in the rear and the front stayed the same so 2 piece round rear (accutrigger) bases will work.

After inspection I can see where they can sell em and make a profit at this price point

If it shoots like my other Savages I'm gonna be very happy if it dosen't Ill sell it and buy a 110 cause I know they are good solid rifles.

Use #46 in the rear,#402 in the front Weaver.

Well I shot it and it's no 110. The trigger is very heavy and creepy it definitely needed some work. Accuracy was OK (easily minute of deer or about 3" @ 100yds) considering the heavy creepy trigger but its light and kicks pretty hard from a bench.
I replaced the trigger spring with a spring from Ace hardware using a roll pin to anchor it and got it down from about 8# to about 3# I'll have to check it again for accuracy
BHJ

This rifle has been gone from my stable for some time now. It never lived up to its billing or any of the reviews I read. I never could get it to group the way I expect a rifle in my stable to shoot. I took a beating on the resale ($250 with rings and bases and parts to fix the trigger) just to get rid of it.
Overall cheap construction without the modular design of the 110s.
As a rabid Savageaholic I really wanted to like it, I really tried to like it, Man am I disappointed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom