• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Savage 10/110 thru 16/116 series rifles

BHJ

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
37   0
Reaction score
The Savage 10/110 series have become my favorite centerfire bolt rifles for several good reasons.
1)Accuracy- Man savages just plain shoot. The best group I've shot to date with my 116 in 30-06 is a 10 shot group at 100yds that measured .446" ctc. 1 ragged hole. Everybody knows you cant do that with a cheap Savage rifle in an obsolete caliber like the 30-06. :)
2) Standard Features- Savage rifles are available from the factory with many features that not long ago were only offered by custom gunsmiths. They are innovators in bringing these features to the general public in a moderately priced rifle forcing the other manufacturers to keep up.
a)Accutrigger- Many people rave about the Accutrigger not realizing that the previous 3 screw triggers with the sear adjustment were darn fine triggers themselves. Mine has the 3 screw trigger set at 2# and I prefer it over the accutrigger.( I do have accutrigger rifles as well) The "Lawyer triggers can be worked over but require much more modification and machining to improve them significantly and therefore aren't as desirable as the others.
b)Floating bolthead- The floating bolt head on Savage rifles has a thin spring that resembles a bent washer which allows a little movement when it is being turned into battery. This allows for full lug engagement without having to pay a gunsmith to lap the locking lugs. Better mating between the lugs and their raceway = better accuracy.
c)Barrel nut-The barrel nut on Savage rifles makes headspacing to exact tolerances very easy Tight tolerances on headspace= better accuracy . It also allows someone with average mechanical ability to swap barrels on the 10/110 series of rifles to nearly any caliber they desire as long as other components such as the bolthead and action length are compatible.
d)Pillar bedding- The bedding is where the action meets the stock of a rifle. Pillar bedding uses metal pillars which go through the stock and the action only touches the stock at these pillars. Savages use of free floating pillars as the contact points reduces the amount of stress on the action and does not dampen the harmonics when the rifle is fired resulting in consistency from shot to shot.
e)free floated barrels- free floated barrels in conjunction with the action pillars provide consistently the same conditions from shot to shot. Free floated means the barrel does not touch the stock and is often checked by running a dollar bill or between the stock and the barrel to ensure they are not touching.
F)Fluted barrels- Many Savage rifles come with this feature standard. Fluting involves machining grooves into the barrel to reduce weight and promote cooling by providing a larger surface area.
G) Muzzle Brake-Many Savage rifles come with this feature standard. Most Savage muzzle brakes are of the proprietary adjustable type. These brakes give the shooter a choice of on for recoil reduction (very effective I might add) or off to reduce the muzzle blast to those around you. This is accomplished with an outer sleeve on the brake that can be turned so that the ports are covered rather than open. It must be lubed after each range session to keep it working properly as carbon and crud will seize it up if not properly cared for. It's a nice feature and well worth the maintenance to me.
3) Modular Design. swapping parts on most Savage rifles is a piece of cake and with a few exceptions for the most part they are interchangeable.

4) Made in the USA this is an important feature to me.

These rifles are easily homesmithed. Most drive tacks right out of the box. On the rare occasion I've gotten one that shot over 1"at 100yds It didn't take much tweaking to make it a sub moa rifle. Most of the time simply finding a good load and proper bullet weight was all it needed.

They have many feature laden rifles available and offer the most factory bells and whistles on different models of any manufacturer I'm aware of. My favorite is a 116FLCSAK in 30-06 (Lefthanded stainless and synthetic with a detachable box mag, adjustable trigger,fluted barrel and adjustable muzzle brake)

Savage custom shop is not a true custom shop in the sense that most manufacturers use the term. They will however build you a rifle mixing and matching parts from different models that they have in stock. you can combine any of these features into your dream rifle and they will even custom laser etch the bolt or let you pick your own serial # provided its not already been assigned.

My stepdad gave me this gun a few years ago. I am super impressed on the accuracy. It is the model 11/111 in the .243 caliber. 200 yards and I am at 1" groups. Great gun and I plan on keeping it for many years.

Check out my YouTube video review of the rifle.

[video=youtube_share;I6ybhhc0QGw]http://youtu.be/I6ybhhc0QGw[/video]

I had a fp110 tactical I traded it on here but that was a sweet and accurate rifle. They make some of the best out of the box accurate rifles I know of.

I have slowly been adding a few savage 10/110 type guns into the collection starting off with a cheapo pawnshop gun that I just couldn't pass up for a back up gun. Now it is my primary gun and my Rem700 is my backup gun. (granted that is mostly because I like the caliber, accuracy, and trigger better)

The three screw trigger on the older savages really makes for an easy trigger job. The real trick is to get some spring wire that is slightly thinner than the stock trigger spring to help keep tension yet allow the trigger to break at a lighter pull weight. The heavy stock spring when lightened up to much doesn't provide enough tension resulting in slam fires or the trigger slipping off the sear face. If your savage doesn't have this three screw trigger, after market triggers are available such as this one sold at Midway and other retailers. Sharp shooter supply has plenty of triggers too as seen here http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

As the original post states, barrels can be swapped, however you'll need a set of go and no-go gauges. Makes it very easy to swap between a .243 varmint rifle and a .308 (or for that matter a 260, 7mm-08, or 358 winchester and others)

Some of the heavier recoiling calibers with an OEM stock can have a bit more perceived recoil because of the geometry of the stock, but this shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone in the woods. Now if your going to be at the range for extended shooting sessions the OEM stock is going to end up replaced anyway. (unless it is a BVSS that already has a bench rest / varmint type stock that is awesome)

So price vs. accuracy department Savage does a real good job with the 10/110 rifle. The Stevens 200 rifle is identical except for the stock and blind box. Has all of the accuracy you could ever want for a woods rifle.

Another thing that makes savages so nice is that there are nearly as many aftermarket parts for them as there are for the remington 700.

Excellent rifles over all as long as your not expecting a show quality safe queen.

I have a Model 116 in 7mm Remington Magnum and just picked up a Model 110 in .22-250. The 7mm is a tack driver and has accounted for many deer over the years. I haven't tried out the 110 yet, but I expect that it is a tack driver also. Too bad for the coyote population where I hunt!! They won't be fond of what happens next!!:frown:

I tried out the M-110! I sighted it in with an old Tasco scope I've had laying around for years. I plan on replacing it with a nice Leupold or Nikon in the near future. The two coyotes I shot did not share my high opinion of the rifle. The synthetic stock and the matte black finish were a bit boring, so I adjusted the stock a bit. I camo'd that bad boy out! Nice little DIY home project!! See below:

camo rifle 3.jpg

Camo Rifle 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom