• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

S&W M&P Full Size 22lr Pistol. (Very disappointing.)

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I got this pistol in hopes that it would reproduce the ergonomics and trigger of my Glocks better than my Buckmark did so I could do more meaningful cheap 22lr practice.

It runs reasonably reliably and had a handful of FTF when I first started shooting (always on the second round in the mag??), but as it broke in this problem faded away to be very rare. Unfortunately, it also seemed the somewhat decent accuracy it had at first also faded away as it broke in. The barrel is attached directly to the frame and, of course, the sights are on the slide. After about 400 rounds through the weapon the slide is so sloppy that I think it is changing position relative to the frame (and barrel) every time it goes into battery. Thus, it is grouping all over the place.

These are the last ten rounds I fired from the weapon. I shot them very slowly and for maximum accuracy at 21 feet.
22.jpg

Just to take the question of shooter error out of the equation, these are the next ten rounds I fired. They are from my Glock 41 also at 21 feet. The one high flyer was shooter error. The other nine rounds are in the X-ring.
41.jpg

I'm going to look the pistol over carefully, but if I can't find anything other than the sloppy slide, we'll find out just how good S&W customer service is. I would expect better accuracy from a $50 Saturday night special than I'm getting from this pistol.

Well, I found the problem. The barrel is so poorly cut that it is striping lead off of every round fired. This is what I got out of the barrel using nothing but a brush and patches. The last third of the barrel towards the muzzle still looks like a moonscape. I fired another ten shot group with the same ammo after getting this out and it's a little better, but still unacceptable by a long ways.

led.jpg

The rod actually got stuck near the muzzle end the first time I pushed it through. I had to tap it out and about a third of what you see here came out with it. There is even lead residue on the crown.

I'm hoping S&W will just send me another barrel insert so I don't have to go through the hassle of shipping the whole gun.

I meant to update this a while back. S&W did a good job of taking care of this problem. Free shipping both ways and I had the pistol back in less than two weeks. I've shot it since then several times and it is now very acceptably accurate. Not as good as a Buckmark, but I wouldn't expect it to be. I'm happy with the results and give S&W a thumbs up for how they handled it.

I meant to update this a while back. S&W did a good job of taking care of this problem. Free shipping both ways and I had the pistol back in less than two weeks. I've shot it since then several times and it is now very acceptably accurate. Not as good as a Buckmark, but I wouldn't expect it to be. I'm happy with the results and give S&W a thumbs up for how they handled it.

Good to hear, they have great customer service.

I had a Shield magazine break on me and they shipped me all new parts free of charge.

Back
Top Bottom