• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

S&W M&P .40 Shield

Mtber1172

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
Banned Permanently
13   0
Reaction score
Gun: M&P .40 Shield
Purchase Price: $ 399
Magazines: 6+1 and 7+1
Ammo: 50 rds Federal 180 gr FMJ
50 rds Speer Lawman 180 gr TMJ
50 rds Fiocchi 165gr FMJ
20 rds Speer Gold Dot 165gr JHP

A little over 2 weeks ago, I was lucky enough to stumble across a .40 Shield at my local Academy Sports. Since S&W had announced the release of the Shield earlier this year, I’ve been wanting to get my hands on one. Unfortunately, finding one in the Atlanta area was about as easy as finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Somehow, someway, the funds came together just in time for me to come across one that had been held for another customer at Academy, but he/she never came to pick it up, so Academy was in the process of restocking it when I called to check on availability and I was able to immediately put it on hold.

Fast forward to this past weekend, when I decided to take her to the range and give her a bit of a break in to see just how I thought she might work out for me.

Obviously these thoughts are just my opinion&#8230;so anyone who also has one, please feel free to add your input as well.

Ergos and Controls

Pros:

I absolutely love the grip angle on the Shield and it’s comparable to the M&P, which I’ve always really loved. It just fits naturally in my hand and gives me a very straight forward shooting position. The controls are easy to use and thankfully, they didn’t make the slide lock ambidextrous this time around like they did on previous M&P models.

Cons:

The one thing I don’t care for is the safety, but luckily it’s flush and isn’t very easy to actuate, so it doesn’t really get in the way and I don’t foresee accidentally engaging it.

Trigger

Pros:

The trigger weight on my Shield came in at around 5.75 lbs., which is about .75 lb less than that of the Shield’s bigger brothers, the M&P Full Size and Compact (this was using my friend’s trigger pull scale, so I don’t know how accurate those things are, so take that into consideration). It has short take up, a good clean break and what felt to me as an average amount of over travel comparable to other guns I’ve shot. IMHO, the reset is about the same as the other M&Ps, just with better tactile feel to it. I’m not a guru on trigger reset and I’ve heard others say that the reset on the Shield is a vast improvement over the other M&Ps, but for me, the most noticeable difference was the feel and sound. I honestly couldn’t tell much difference in the length of travel in the reset, but I’m sure those out there with more experience would notice it (at least from reviews I’ve seen on Youtube concerning this).

The hinge area on the trigger is another area that definitely feels stronger and a tad beefier than my other M&Ps, but that could just be that it hasn’t been thoroughly broken in yet. I guess only time will tell on that one.

Cons:

Honestly, I can’t really think of one. I love the stock M&P trigger, so the Shield was that plus a cherry on top. I will say though that from what S&W had marketed, plus all the hype that has been spread all over the internet, I didn’t think that overall it was that much of a vast improvement. Yes, there is a noticeable improvement, I just don’t think it was as drastic as others have claimed it to be.

Range time

I would be lying if I said that initially, when I put the first few magazines through this gun I was putting nice groups in at 7 and 10 yards. I wasn’t. At first, I had flyers everywhere as I was having some issues adjusting to the new trigger style and just learning how to grip the gun differently than my other M&Ps. I’ve got some large mitts, so getting them around a gun that is less than 1” in width took a bit of adjusting to.

After awhile, things were getting tighter and I was feeling more comfortable. It’s going to take some more trigger time for me to feel as confident in my accuracy with the Shield as I am with my other M&Ps.

At the range, I shot 150 rds of ball ammo through it without a hiccup. I also put a box of Speer Gold Dot through it, to make sure the ammo ran well. I didn’t have any FTFs or FTEs, so I was very pleased.

Recoil

Honestly, I was surprised at how manageable recoil was with the Shield. It has a dual captured double spring guide rod and I’m sure this goes a long way in helping soften things up after each shot. No, it’s not as soft as a 9mm, but honestly, I didn’t notice quite as much snap as I have with my G27.

Overall Impression

Obviously, being an M&P fan, I absolutely love this gun and probably have a bit of a bias towards it. The fit and finish is excellent on the Shield and the ergonomics are top notch and I can honestly say this will be one gun that is never going up for trade/sell. I truly believe this is the cream of the crop in regards to single stack sub compact carry conceal guns as of right now. I’ve owned/shot Kahrs, Kel Tecs and Rugers and IMHO, none of these hold a candle to the Shield. It carries just as well as any of the aforementioned, feels better in hand and overall just feels like better quality. I think if any manufacturer will give S&W a run for their money in this market, it will be Glock&#8230;.if they ever decide to hop on board.

2012-07-11_20-55-31_178.jpg

does the whole bottom half of the trigger pivot or just the middle like glocks?

Not sure if you can see it or not, but on the back of the trigger, there is a piece of plastic barely sticking out. That piece blocks the trigger from engaging if the trigger is not pulled properly.

The bottom half of the trigger swivels on a pivot ever so slightly. There isn't a middle piece like on Glocks.

I have had one of these on mind since I saw them on Davidson's show. I like the 40. I have had G23,22,35. I may try it in the near future. Thanks for the report from someone not trying to sell one....Wow just saw this was from July.....How did I miss it?

Last edited:
I got my M&P .40 Shield from Academy, also. It only cost me $399. I found the Shield to be just what is needed for a concealed carry pistol. I like everything about it. Like the OP, I have a meat hook for a hand, so it took a bit of adjusting to the smaller pistol. After about 25 rounds, I could keep all shots in the X ring of a silhouette target @ 7 yards. At the 15 yard line, 10 ring was the norm.

After a number of years shooting competition (I won't mention how many!), I freely admit that I am a trigger snob. While the trigger on the Shield is good, it is not a competition trigger!! I will be sliding one of Apex's fine hard sears into my new Shield. I will also be adding a set of Trijicon night sights to finish off the package. At that point, it will become the bane of bad guys everywhere!! :shocked:

For folks with less snooty trigger fingers, the Shield should be great right out of the box.

Well, I have purchased and installed the Apex hard sear, which now takes the trigger pull of my Shield to about 3.5 lbs. The pull is very smooth and has a much quicker reset. In addition, I had a set of Trijicon Bright and Tough Night Sights installed. They are great sights and the green glow of the sights, at night, on the night stand is a very comforting view as you drift off to sleep!! I believe I now have the perfect concealed carry self-defense pistol. This one is a keeper!!

M&P40 Shield.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a newbie to ODT and admittedly handgun ignorant. Just found this review. Hubby works in Personal Protection and Corporate Security, and currently carries a Walther P99 in the .40; the reason he picked that is because he's a lefty and the Walther allowed him to drop/reload a lot easier than most of the other .40's, along with there being nothing that would catch on the slide, i.e., a Sig.

Just curious, does the S&W come in an option for left-handed firers? or even ambidextrous?

I'd seriously be interested, as he's expressed an interest in having a good, reliable single-stack and S&W has always had a good reputation in this novice's opinion... Most of what we've seen out there doesn't have the solid reputation of S&W, is why I'm asking. Thanks!

I'm a newbie to ODT and admittedly handgun ignorant. Just found this review. Hubby works in Personal Protection and Corporate Security, and currently carries a Walther P99 in the .40; the reason he picked that is because he's a lefty and the Walther allowed him to drop/reload a lot easier than most of the other .40's, along with there being nothing that would catch on the slide, i.e., a Sig.

Just curious, does the S&W come in an option for left-handed firers? or even ambidextrous?

I'd seriously be interested, as he's expressed an interest in having a good, reliable single-stack and S&W has always had a good reputation in this novice's opinion... Most of what we've seen out there doesn't have the solid reputation of S&W, is why I'm asking. Thanks!

Sorry Shatzie, but the Shield is a right handers dream and is neither ambi or easily modified to left handed shooters.

Back
Top Bottom