• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

S&W 329PD Airlite shooting experience

Opg

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
7   0
Reaction score
Does anyone have any first hand experience shooting the S&W 329PD Airlite .44 mag?
Handling, accuracy, recoil in comparison to a 629 4"

Thank you for any feedback you can provide.

Does anyone have any first hand experience shooting the S&W 329PD Airlite .44 mag?

Very unpleasant. The overpressure feels like it's slapping you in the face, when shooting indoors. It's a handful to hang onto when it bucks. Sometimes heavier is better. This is one of those times!

No but I researched them a quite a bit after handling one at my LGS and didn't like what I read. Everything from the typical new S&W Quality Control issues to the obvious extreme recoil being so light weight. Also, due to the alloy's used, very susceptible to flame cutting (hence the factory shield) that will need replacing periodically if you actually shoot the weapon enough.

This guy did an extremely thorough write up on his blog about the 329PD and I really enjoyed reading it:
https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/Home/s-w-329pd-info

In the end I decided a thousand plus dollars would be spent better elsewhere and I would stick to my traditional obese revolvers when it comes to 44MAG.

I just don’t understand snub nose .357 or 44mag revolvers. They kick like hell and their power isn’t really much better then a micro 9mm or micro .45acp. The pistol is just too light to really be effective and it very unpleasant to shoot. If you want a revolver go with a 4” or 5” barrel so you can really get the performance. I may be wrong but I think the 5” .357mag is normally the standard for an effective barrel length for that caliber.

Don't a lot of people use the S&W 329PD Airlite .44 mag as a mountain hike or woods gun? Knowing it is painful on the hand, but in a "I need it now or get the big bear off me moment", the pain quickly disappears? Kind of like toting the Ruger .454 Casull Alaskan- it's sounds and handles like hell came back on earth, but when you need it in an emergency up in bear country, suddenly you forgive its' sins.

Back
Top Bottom