• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rust Bluing Steel

More rust in a cardboard box

That's just about right. Seven cycles to get this slide blackened. It came out good and even. A dark battleship grey black. Softer metal gets blacker than grey. But, it looks great. Resting in some Rig and Hoppes 9 Oil.

I'm still trying to rust blacken the slide release, I'm wonderin if its stainless steel!

Anyway, will clean up the slide well tonight and get it all back together.

The front sight insert survived all the rough treatment and heating. Betcha it stays in there when I'm shooting too. Can't wait to put this one back together. Its gonna serve duty round the house and as a trainer for the Granddaughters. (And when it gets bungered up, all I gotta do is rust it again an it'll look just like new)

i.imgur.com_On0C4lQ.jpg

i.imgur.com_4lkgqwY.jpg

i.imgur.com_2TjHeZ2.jpg

i.imgur.com_u3nU2yU.jpg

i.imgur.com_spKVF1f.jpg

Not bad for a gun well under 3 bills. Well, the tally so far....new old stock grip panels to replace the cracked originals. New easier to acquire front sight....so far its held up to a lot of abuse in polishing and temp swings....time to test and see if it can stand up to the old stop go stop go....if not, red epoxy fill will be the service replacement. But I betcha the glow pipe stays in jes fine. And the slide reblued...looking good in satin very dark grey almost black. As for that pesky slide stop....one of the sneaky S&W deals. Just would not rust, would not scratch with 100g aluminum oxide and barely polished with a coarse wire wheel at 2000 rpm, even Birchwood Casey Super Blue wouldn't touch it and I've use BCSB to blacken aluminum and brass too. So, must be stainless steel. So, it'll stay bright.

Frame will stay the way it is. Anodizing it at home wouldn't be serviceable....best ya can get is a Type 2 anodize at home and though it'd be well colored when dyed, that aint the hard anodize that's on the frame now, that is, Type 3. So, since I don't like paint, a few boogers on the receiver are fine with me.

Range trip is in order at this point. See if it works good. Bet it will. Next step is to decide if I want to order a spare new back strap in plastic or gen one up in steel or aluminum to last for the long haul or even try a set of Hogue rubber or wood grips. Fun.

Here is where it sits tonight.

i.imgur.com_PeuBEkE.jpg

i.imgur.com_FbDZ79c.jpg

i.imgur.com_AyfFGbk.jpg

i.imgur.com_2tGbBPi.jpg

New red sight sure looks better out there than that original black and yeller nubbie.

i.imgur.com_aiS7xqq.jpg

I reckon the granddaughters will like shootin it and if I can get a second 915 for em, this will lead them to their full size handguns when they grow up.....unless one of em decides to take this one...I wouldn't mind. I think it looks good enough they'd be proud to own it too.

i.imgur.com_gFSga4C.jpg

i.imgur.com_l3Wmfd4.jpg

The looks at the working end ain't no slouch neither.

i.imgur.com_XmqwVB6.jpg

i.imgur.com_DFmoftV.jpg

And that pesky slide release.....

i.imgur.com_i2eAcjM.jpg

RamrodDoc, I believe this one is 95% ready. If you want, a few blank spots and a couple inclusions on pages 1 and 2 that could use deleted.

But for now, I'll leave the thread open should you wish to move it up for a stickie and so that members can toss in questions/commentary/experiences. (There are other members here that rust blue using this and other solutions. It will be useful for them to post experiences/tools/chemicals chosen, etc.)

Sharps40,

This is a great thread for anyone wanting consider rust bluing steel and should be made a sticky. Thank for taking the time and effort many will benefit.

After watching Sharps do several guns on here I have done several myself with great success. Take your time and follow his lead and anyone can do this!!

Alright her we go my first rifle I rust blued. Remington model 760 in 35 Remington. Metal was prepped using blasting cabinet with ceramic beads. Overall appearance was matte tactical finish. First two pics got reversed sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_1808.jpg
    IMG_1808.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1812.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1813.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1817.jpg
    IMG_1817.jpg