• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rust Bluing Steel

Here is a Remington Model 510 22. I sanded it with 400 grit. Overall finish was ball bearing smooth but a little on the light side as far color depth in my opinion. When I got it you could not even make out the model number or any of the barrel stamping

Attachments

• IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1806.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1807.jpg
    IMG_1807.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 112
Here is a Winchester model 67 I did or another member here. Sanded to 400 grit and achieved a really nice dark color.

Attachments

• IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1800.jpg
    IMG_1800.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 106
Here are the final pics of the model 67

Attachments

• IMG_1802.jpg
    IMG_1802.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1804.jpg
    IMG_1804.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1805.jpg
    IMG_1805.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 102
If yall are looking at a rewarding finish you can achieve at home and have time follow Sharps instructions and you should have a nice finish when you are through. As for now I have to two long guns waiting on me for when I have time.

RamRodoc I hope this is what you had in mind.

Sharps I am not trying to steal your thunder lol. You were excellent mentor when I had questions!!

I ain't got no thunder, cept for the walkin farts. Grandkids think its cool, GoodWife is ready to trade me for a younger model!

Now, who's rustblued with Mark Lee or Dicropan? I have but don't have recent experience. I like the Dicropan. Ya can get a gun done in a day with it or spread it out over weeks and weeks.

Post up cause somebody's gotta convince all these kids that Paint if for Fence Posts, Blue yer steel dayumnit!

Dicropan IM works pretty darn well and is very close to the rust bluing process.

I use it more often for cold bluing touch up when Oxpho doesn't quite work on a given steel...

tougher than Oxpho too

Cerakote does have it's place at times ( aluminum)

Last edited:
If yall are looking at a rewarding finish you can achieve at home and have time follow Sharps instructions and you should have a nice finish when you are through. As for now I have to two long guns waiting on me for when I have time.

RamRodoc I hope this is what you had in mind.

Sharps I am not trying to steal your thunder lol. You were excellent mentor when I had questions!!

The rifles came out beautiful! Yes it's what I was thinking with the before and after pics really should inspire some to take the step.

Man I want to try this, awe inspiring!

Amen Brother on this quote "Polishing Metal, Do it by hand, use sand paper." I tried a wheel on something once and after ruining it I went straight to Auto-zone and got a variety pack of wet dry sand paper. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom