• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rossi RP63, 357 Magnum, Notes, Thoughts, Basic Tuning and Grip Options

Top photo: Taurus 856, 38 Special, top right, wearing the Rossi R63 Grip. No changes to the grip or gun were required, in fact the fit is snug enough you could get away without even drilling the already spotted hole in the grip frame for the rossi grip stud. But, it would be a best idea to drill that spotted hole and install the rossi grip retention stud as well....sorta keep the grip from sliding off the handle!

Bottom photo: Rossi RP63, 357 Magnum, lower left, wearing the Taurus 856 family of grips, its only a few thousands from sliding home to a perfect fit. While the rossi factory grip is good, its big enough to be best suited to the RP64 and RP66. Its a bit slim but very nice over all, however it won't conceal as well as a boot style grip. The Taurus 856 grip is a dandy, hand filling, grippy and controls things nicely on the similarly sized frame. (Rossi and Taurus are within a few ounces of each other.) The Taurus 856 grip would allow the Rossi to conceal better and even pocket carry very nicely, and I believe, continue to provide good controlability.
IMG_20231202_082638472.jpg
IMG_20231202_082957814.jpg

Currently there are only 2 grips available for the RP series Rossi's. The factory grip and the LOK, made of G10 and coming in at $125+ shipping.

However, the Taurus 856 is in that family including most all of the Taurus non polymer revolvers (85,850, 856, 605, etc.) e.g. 40Eleven grip styles are avalilable. So, makes sense to take 20 minutes and get the Rossi up and running for Both Rossi grips and Taurus Grips. Tons of options now and especially as more grips come on line for the RP series.

In the Bottom photo, grip frames compared, only about 20 to 30 thousands was removed to flatten out the bottom of the RP63 grip frame.

IMG_20231202_083110517~2.jpg
IMG_20231202_084142168.jpg

I had previously converted my Taurus 856 from Grip retention pin to 8x40 screw. This allows me to use one tool, a screwdriver, to completly disassemble the Taurus 856 for cleaning and maintenance. No more need to keep a hammer and punch handy.

Shown on top, the Rossi RP63 has had its grip retention pin driven out from the large hole in the bottom rear of the grip. A hole was spotted, drilled #28 and tapped 8x40 TPI in the bottom front of the grip frame to similarly secure the Taurus 856 Grip to the Rossi RP63 grip frame.
IMG_20231202_093258225.jpg

Work is completed. The Rossi RP63 is ready to wear a myriad of commonly available grip panels. Time to order that very nice Taurus 856 factory boot grip for $9.99 from ShopTaurus.

I suppose I'll order two Ameriglo Orange Dot/Tritium front sights at the same time and shortly have both these revolvers configured the same from grip to sight to trigger pull.
IMG_20231202_093523867.jpg

Update, a deep cleaning seems to have cleared up the slight extraction stickiness with the heavy loaded 357 Magnums. I fired it straight from the box without first wiping out the cylinders or barrel. So, in my excitement, seems i created an issue that really wasn't.

Having both this and the Taurus 856 I can say the same basic adjustment was done for both (spring and minimum polishing) and the Rossi is hands down the smoother and lighter feeling action. I'll have to play with 856 to find the difference. Id thought it'd be the lighter and smoother. Perhaps it's in the rebound. The Rossi being better geometry with a straight push over the Taurus with an angle push.

Back
Top Bottom