riot gun's nearly worthless at 25m

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a fair amount of Shotgunning over the past 45 years or so, including shooting quite a few patterns at various distances with various loads...One thing I have learned is that most generalizations about Shotgun Patterns are not worth a warm bucket of SPIT...

IF we are talking generic, unbuffered 00 Buckshot purchased at Wal-Mart, fired thru an unmodified Cylinder Bore barrel at 25 yards, the patterns are likely to be disappointingly large...
However, if we use buffered "Tactical" Buckshot, like the Federal LE loads with the Flite Control Wad, you'd be surprised at how nicely that 25 yard pattern "Tightens Up", even thru a Cylinder Bore Barrel--Fire the Federal LE Buckshot thru a VangComp Barrel--Or one with a tighter Choke, like my 21" Modified Choke 1100 Barrel--And you'll see 90%+ of your pellets staying on an 8 & 1/2 x 11-inch sheet of paper at 25 yards--THAT is some REAL Fight-stopping utility there!

Yes, I think the Federal LE Buckshot loads, and other Premium Buckshot Loads are worth the extra money--MY life and the lives of my Loved Ones are worth it, yours, maybe not... :)

Oooohhh.....like a live firing demo means anything. LOL! That guy is so wrong. Shotguns are useless.
Well ole buddy would u volunteer stand and let somebody shoot u with a riot shotgun with a load of 00 buck even use low recoil shells find out out how tough are crazy u are maybe a you tube video????

with standard, 9 pellet 00 buck load. The pattern will be at LEAST 20" wide. 10" radius, remenbe A =Pi R squared? 314 sq inches divide by 9 pellets, 35 sq inches per pellet. Tne 10" vitals circle has 78 sq inches,so you get 2, maybe 3 hits on it at 25m, each one no more effective than a 158 gr lrn from a .38 snub, which is noted for being ineffective. In other words, such a 'hittee" can probably still shoot at you for quite a while. have that guy be head on prone towards while wearing a helmet, and you've got nothing much at all with which to stop his firing of his rifle. It's even worse when he's using cover. Only his head, hand and a fraction of his shoulder will be available, and then only for a second. 45 sq inches of mark, remember that 1 pellet in 35 sq inches? :-) OO won't shoot thru the tread of a new steel belted radial, nor the tires sidewalls, or windshields beyond about 10m. even if the tire AINT moving and you get a nice 90 degree angle of impact.

Plus, your charge of buck is not likely to be centered on the target. If you were the kind of guy to make sure that it was, you'd be using a rifle and 30c per shot ammo, with a silencer and a .22lr conversion unit for practice, instead of $1 per shot 12 ga slugs and buckshot.
You didn't even mention the fact that the recoil slows down the ability for good follow up shots, that the capacity is low and they are slow as hell to reload. In fact the only benefit to a shotgun is when shooting at optimum ranges around the 25 yards mark, so folks with questionable skills might still be able to make hits.

Nice to know I'm not the only one that has seen the light.

Here's some actual live-fire tests that will prove you wrong. https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...different-barrel-lengths-and-options.1457681/

With my 14" Rem870, I'm good to past 100yds with a slug.

Use the right weapon for the job. If I'm out in areas where I may need to reach further, I'll use a carbine. For HD, a good shotgun does just fine.

The thought that you want a large shotgun pattern at close ranges is wrong, and this notion is usually purported by folks that don't know squat about a good shotgun, and/or dislike them. I want that buckshot coming out as tight as I can get it. I don't want any flyers. I want every pellet to go in very close proximity to where I aimed.

You can get into any good pump shotgun, and most semi-autos, plus have the Vang Comp mods and such done, for much less than you'll pay for a good AR. So, if you like the idea of a shotgun, don't let the cost of mods dissuade you.

Well ole buddy would u volunteer stand and let somebody shoot u with a riot shotgun with a load of 00 buck even use low recoil shells find out out how tough are crazy u are maybe a you tube video????
This type of response in discussions like this is a logic fail.

Would you be willing to stand in front of someone and let them shoot a wrist rocket slingshot at you? No? Does that make a wrist rocket a good SD weapon?

head shaking.gif

At 25 meters no target's inside my dwelling, so I won't be shooting at it with a 12ga, so nothing relevant to me in the post.

Here's some actual live-fire tests that will prove you wrong. https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...different-barrel-lengths-and-options.1457681/

With my 14" Rem870, I'm good to past 100yds with a slug.

Use the right weapon for the job. If I'm out in areas where I may need to reach further, I'll use a carbine. For HD, a good shotgun does just fine.

The thought that you want a large shotgun pattern at close ranges is wrong, and this notion is usually purported by folks that don't know squat about a good shotgun, and/or dislike them. I want that buckshot coming out as tight as I can get it. I don't want any flyers. I want every pellet to go in very close proximity to where I aimed.

You can get into any good pump shotgun, and most semi-autos, plus have the Vang Comp mods and such done, for much less than you'll pay for a good AR. So, if you like the idea of a shotgun, don't let the cost of mods dissuade you.

no, you aint good with $1 a shot slugs. If you were so inclined, you'd be MUCH better with a silenced 223. But you are just a blowhard, which is why you're counting upon a buckshot pattern being enough. If the buck pattern should be tight, why bother to limit yourself to a shotgun? that makes no sense. you're WAY ahead with a sound suppressed rifle. at least you'll still be able to hear his buddy moving after you shoot the first one, which you wont be able to do with the shotgun. At night, the flash of a buck blast is truly astounding, ruins your night adapted vision for several minutes, amateur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom