• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rifle drilled/tapped for scope bases

T. May

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
Has anyone had a rifle, particularly a Mauser, drilled/tapped for scope bases? If so who did you use? I know this is not a really hard job for a good smith, but I have seen enough bad jobs done to know that you need someone who knows what they are doing for the job. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Well first thing with Mauser’s is they have the rear hump where the stripper clip goes. With that being said you have two options for rear scope bases. They offer one designed around the hump and another with the hump removed. So if you go with the hump removed it will require refinishing of the metal as most of are ground off. Sometimes this also requires the rear base to be bedded or shimmed for proper alignment.

since you live in Loganville, Jack Bennet is a gunsmith off Centerhill Church Rd. I am not sure if he is retired or not.
I believe Shooters den in Watkinsville has a gunsmith as does Franklins in Athens.

Accurate Ordinance in Bethlehem does excellent. I have used them for several things.

Also something to think about is scope ring height due to the vertical safety which is common on most Mausers. They will usually have to be high or extra high for to use it unless you go with a Timney trigger which has a built in safety. Timney will require minor inletting of the stock.Or you can go with a Winchester style safety, which will require fitting by a gunsmith also.

Thank you. I’ve met Jack and I think I may have heard he is retired. The rifle I am looking at is a commercial Mauser from the late 40’s -50’s so I don’t believe it has a loading bridge for the stripper clips. I’ll have to look again. Thanks again for your help.
Have had a little experience with the Timney trigger and liked the results. Did not do a good job on the inletting though! It was an old surplus that I was learning on.

I have an FN Commercial Mauser that was chambered in 257Roberts. It does not have the hump.

I wish mine had never been drilled and tapped because it messes up the FN logo stamp. There are some scout mount options if you are interested.

I had Bob Simms put a peep sight and a front sight on mine.

642C3CC9-1EBE-4545-8C2D-D0EF1A1795EA.jpeg

You can use a Ching Ring or similar and go with a LER scope. No drilling, and can be removed with no damage to rifle.

Well first thing with Mauser’s is they have the rear hump where the stripper clip goes. With that being said you have two options for rear scope bases. They offer one designed around the hump and another with the hump removed. So if you go with the hump removed it will require refinishing of the metal as most of are ground off. Sometimes this also requires the rear base to be bedded or shimmed for proper alignment.

since you live in Loganville, Jack Bennet is a gunsmith off Centerhill Church Rd. I am not sure if he is retired or not.
I believe Shooters den in Watkinsville has a gunsmith as does Franklins in Athens.

Accurate Ordinance in Bethlehem does excellent. I have used them for several things.
send a PM to "REMMY" he may be able to help you he works with Jack, some... GOOD LUCK...

They used to make lower profile safeties just for a scope on mausers. Probably some still around. Just a simple.swap with the original..Bsquare made a jig for doing the scope mount holes. It worked with mausers, springfields and endfields. Setup to use the redfield one piece mounts. Someone was making a copy of this jig and selling them on eBay for.around $50. Very simple to use. Find an older smith and he will likely have one.. 3 holes and you're done..

Back
Top Bottom