• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

RIA tactical build

railin93

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
246   0
Reaction score
picked up a RIA tactical a few months ago and planned it for a small build just to fancy her up and make her "mine" so to speak...bought every part i could from EGW that i could replace on the pistol except for the internals as i want to leave those as stock as i can since she runs superb and never hiccups or throws a fit...

started fitting the beavertail and thumb safety a few weekends ago and came across a small issue...the radius for the beavertail i got is a .250...they make a .220 now but thats a moot point right this second...the tangs are supposedly cut for tactical on a .250 also as far as i have read and seen...problem i am having is the bottom of the tangs where the web of the thumb and first finger meet...they are shallow or recessed in the safety and i'm afraid to take that much meat off the safety to make them blend...

[Broken External Image]:
[Broken External Image]:

i didnt have to massage the radius but a very, very slight bit to get the beavertail to fit snug but this isnt what i would think is normal or blendable without welding them up and reblending the welded portions to flow...

my question is this...would a .220 fit better and blend easier in this area?...ive seen others fit on the .250 and .220 radius and didnt appear to have had this issue...i dont mind getting the .220 if you guys think it would help fit better and blend more easily...

Last edited:
The frame radius is a 250 right? If so then order a few .250 grip safeties from Midway, check for fit, pick the best of the lot and send the rest back and get a refund.

If it's a .220 radius on the frame then do the same but for .220.

If you bugger up a .250 frame radius you can always go to a .220 radius but get it right the second attempt or you will be seeking a good welder.

Back
Top Bottom