• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revolvers...with manual safeties?

Anh Le

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
55   0
Reaction score
When I first saw a heritage rough rider, I saw that there was a manual safety on it. I remember thinking "well, that's something you don't see every day," but that also makes me wonder. Are there any other revolvers on the market that has something like this? I know that Dutch police revolvers and some really old guns do, but I've yet to find any in the current market that have this odd feature.

1287753155.jpg

Chinese police carry these revolvers with a manual safety

The S&W model 40 had a grip safety. There was also a pin that was stored under the grips that was used to disable the safety. The pin is almost always gone. The "Pre-Model 40s" were produced as early as 1952.

(Also the Model 42 and the "Pre-Model 42 which was the airweight version)

I don't even like a manual safety on a striker fired gun. I sure as hell wouldn't want to buy a double action revolver that had one. Lawyer gun.
It's not about whether or not a gun should have a manual safety. This seems to be a relatively unheard of thing, and I just want to see just how many models have such an abnormal addition to the gun.

It's not about whether or not a gun should have a manual safety. This seems to be a relatively unheard of thing, and I just want to see just how many models have such an abnormal addition to the gun.
Yeah I've never heard of it before either.

It makes very little sense to me, but even less so on a Heritage revolver. They are SAO.

Wesley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver has a manual safety, but it is anything but standard.

Many Dutch and German police revolvers of the late 1800’s and early 1900’s had manual safeties.

It makes very little sense to me, but even less so on a Heritage revolver. They are SAO.
I believe it was their attempt to allow the gun to be dry fired without damaging the gun. Many rim-fire guns are not the most dry fire friendly. The gun was made more so for recreation than say...self defense, no? I think that safety feature is fine given the heritage's purpose.

I believe it was their attempt to allow the gun to be dry fired without damaging the gun. Many rim-fire guns are not the most dry fire friendly. The gun was made more so for recreation than say...self defense, no? I think that safety feature is fine given the heritage's purpose.

That makes sense. I never dry fired my old High Standard because of this.

Back
Top Bottom