• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Review: Rangemaster Defensive Revolver Skills

I agree with what you have said and I have no issues with it. I was just saying that in this particular case, it was a little different. I would love her to be able to do both but she is very content with the revolver and much prefers it.

And her being content is the bottom line.

That's the rationale a lot of men use for telling a lady to use a revolver; however, it has been my experience that the same people who have trouble working the slide also have trouble with the 12lb double action trigger.

A buddy of mine brought his wife to one of my classes. She was shooting a j-frame due to the slide issue. When she left the class that day, he no longer had a Colt Colt Cup 1911...
I can recall an elderly lady who simply could not handle the recoil of a 9mm nor a .38 but was perfectly fine shooting a S&W Model 30. She didn't have the hand strength to shoot it double action but she did perfectly fine when cocking the gun and shooting it single action.

I've said on multiple occasions that recolvers aren't for everyone and stand by that statement. Using one effectively requires a good bit more effort than a striker fired semi auto, especially when the shooter is a casual shooter at best.

I'll throw one out here. I went to the range the other day with a lady who wanted to go shooting. We tried a semi auto but she was unable to rack the slide due to issues not related to technique. However, she could easily open and close a revolver for reloading. I have both semi autos and revolvers and love them both, but for her, it will be a revolver all day long for edc.

Jeff

Rack one in the chamber for her... and now she has 2-3 revolver cylinders worth of ammo and a nice trigger that she can hit something with (vs. average revolver trigger).... If recoil is an issue with shooter induced malfunctions then MP22. Average self defense shooting is less than a revolver of ammo anyway so with a semi auto she's almost assured she won't run out in a fight.. (unless it's ISIS) Or maybe this is the unicorn where a revolver is better for her? I'd like to see how proficiently she handles the trigger though?

Rack one in the chamber for her... and now she has 2-3 revolver cylinders worth of ammo and a nice trigger that she can hit something with (vs. average revolver trigger).... If recoil is an issue with shooter induced malfunctions then MP22. Average self defense shooting is less than a revolver of ammo anyway so with a semi auto she's almost assured she won't run out in a fight.. (unless it's ISIS) Or maybe this is the unicorn where a revolver is better for her? I'd like to see how proficiently she handles the trigger though?

I'll be honest, I don't have any real life experience, but from all the reading I've done most personal defense encounters are 2-4 round affairs, not a jungle ambush firefight.

I believe the points made above, quoted below, are absolutely true and should be considered.

"If she can't operate the slide at all then:

B. She is being set up for failure in the event she does have a FTF, FTE, doublefeed, whatever because she will not have either the mindset, skillset, or physical ability to get that gun back in the fight.
C. She won't be able to load or unload it... or practice since she is completely unable to operate it.

"Repetition is the father of skill...and lack of repetition is the father of incompetence"

Under stress things get worse not better"

From the point of addressing recoil by going to a 22, what's the reputation for rimmed cartridges feeding through a semi...... ? There are 7-9 round 22 revolvers I think ?

Last edited:

Had a couple this morning that is a great example of what I'm talking about.
Both were in their late 60's/ early 70's.

The lady shot the LCR 22 fine, shot & hand cycled the M&P Compact .22 fine.... but simply could not cycle any semi-auto of all that I had avaioable. In addition to that problem, when I cycled the slide for her she did not have the wrist or hand strength to hold a semi-auto larger than a .22 w/o having stovepipe stoppages. One shot then a malfunction In a self defense gun?
No thanks!

However she could quickly empty the 6 shot Colt Det. Special w/ effective accuracy at 6 yards as the picture shows.
12 shots with a rim fire .22 or 5/6 with a centerfire .38 w/ good hollowpoint? That's an easy answer.

Based on my experience working with hundreds of ladies I have to strongly disagree with you on this topic.... next time you see or shoot with Ronnie ask him & he'll tell you the same thing.

The last time he & I were in a gun store together he suggested to a local female judge to buy a Ruger LCR .22 mag. revolver because it was simple to operate & did not require as much practice to master.

One more thought.
My personal preference is heavily prejudiced toward semiauto's but when I have classes, especially with ladies or elderly shooters it's not about what my preference is.
. It's about what they can operate consistently & effectively after instruction in using both styles of firearm correctly & the opportunity to try them out repeatedly to see what fits their needs best.
As much as I would like to see some shooters like a semi I would be doing them a disservice by forcing them into a gun that they just cannot run well.

I simply will not do that

Last edited:
One more thought.
My personal preference is heavily prejudiced toward semiauto's but when I have classes, especially with ladies or elderly shooters it's not about what my preference is.
. It's about what they can operate consistently & effectively after instruction in using both styles of firearm correctly & the opportunity to try them out repeatedly to see what fits their needs best.
As much as I would like to see some shooters like a semi I would be doing them a disservice by forcing them into a gun that they just cannot run well.

I simply will not do that

You misunderstand... Personally I seldom run into situations where a revolver would seem better to me and I'm hoping to get greater perspective. (which I have) A .22 revolver or .22 mag revolver is a great choice that will fit within the scope of what an average fight is. I own and shoot a Charter .22 and Smith 686. You've got a heavier trigger, shorter barrel and a few less rounds in trade off for simple use, less required maintenance and dust bunny resistance. Very few things are absolute. For instance.
1. I've had a revolver cylinder jam on me. (for which there is no immediate action drill) Maybe use revolver to beat bad guy.
2. Whether 6 .38 special HP's are better to 12 .22 HP's depends on a variety of factors.
3. Had a clock been involved the rate of fire of .22 would most likely been superior to .38 which is clearly a factor. (not the only one and maybe or maybe not the deciding one?)

I can think of multiple instances where a longer, not necessarily heavy trigger is much more preferable than a single action or a relatively short striker fired setup.

Back
Top Bottom